1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF Extension Cord

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by slothead, May 15, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Here's an interesting idea: What kind of connector is the Olympus EVF connector, and is there such a thing as an extension cord (male and female with 6' or so cable) that could drive the EVF that far away from the camera body? The questions come from an idea of hoisting (or lowering) a camera on an extension monopod-like pole and still having a view finder to see the composition.

2. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    Can't see myself need such a thing, but definitely an interesting idea that could open up some new possibilities.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I want to see if such a contraption would also allow EVF and hotshoe flash use simultaneously on a Pen body. ;)

4. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    how would you trigger the shutter?

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    While this should be technically possible, using the EVF in this manner, while also trying to hold the monopod and trigger the shutter would seem difficult (at best) without an assistant. It's an interesting thought experiment, but I doubt there would a sufficient market for such an "extension cord" that it would make sense to manufacture. It would have to be a DIY one-off.

It would seem to me that the WiFi tethering built into the latest bodies (GH3, G6, GF6 and E-P5) for operation with a connected smartphone would be a more elegant solution.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Remote release?

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    True that.

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That would add some complexity Ned. I don't know if the same connections are involved, but it is very likely that power and ground are, thus there could be some overloading of the camera circuits. At the very least it would require some sort of "splitter."

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have a couple different remote triggers Dan, so that's not a problem for me, but you could also use the timer if you thought you could compose quickly enough.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    That is what I was planning (if I can figure out what these connectors are!)

Does wifi tethering include live view that the EVF can provide? I didn't think so, but I don't know. I have Eye-fi cards, but I have never gotten them to work very well.

11. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes WiFi provides live view. The Panasonic version is more fully featured than Olympus at the moment.

If not that then use the HDMI output and a small field HDMI LCD. That's what pole photographers use usually.

12. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I haven't played with it, but from what I understand the Panasonic implementation (at least on the GH3) provides almost full control over the camera including live view and "Live Control".

As far as I know you get live view and the ability to trigger the shutter with the Olympus implementation in the E-P5, but you're limited to iAuto only.

13. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Interesting Kwalsh. I was hoping the expense would be as little as fabricating an extension cord, and I don't know that the HDMI LCD would be as viewable as an EVF, but it's worth researching. I'm certainly NOT going to refer to myself as a "pole photographer!" :biggrin:

14. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If that's in any way related to a "pole dancer" it might not be that bad a gig. :eek: