EVF Driving me crazy..EM1 mark 3

royd63uk

Mu-43 Regular
Ok so I have highlights and shadows enabled.
I have evf boost turned off everywhere.
When I look through the viewfinder the highlight's blink and the image looks really bright.
When i take the shot (overexposed according to the highlights and evf) and check the image in the rear LCD it is either well exposed or under exposed.
If I go by the evf the images are very under exposed although showing as good exposure on the evf.
Transferred to computer the same result's
I thought it was WYSIWYG??
Am I missing something.

Update this is happening in shutter priority but NOT in aperture priority?

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
One of the potential pitfalls of shutter priority is that you can easily set a shutter speed too high - i.e. your lens cannot open up (max aperture) enough to give a good exposure at the shutter speed you have set. So you get under-exposed result. This is because, of course, your lens has a limited set of apertures, epsecially at the largest possible opening. The EVF may show you a good exposure, but if your lens cannot do it, it cannot do it, period.

Aperture priority, on the other hand, seldom has this problem because the camera has almost unlimited shutter speeds it can use. It can go very fast or VERY slow to accomodate whatever aperture you have set, so you seldom, if ever, get a poor exposure. The only way you can get a poor exposure is if the day is super bright and you have set your ISO way too high.

The most-used way around your shutter priority problem is to also use auto-ISO. That way, the camera will boost the ISO when it cannot open your lens enough to give you a proper exposure. The other way around it is to use Aperture priority ;)

royd63uk

Mu-43 Regular
One of the potential pitfalls of shutter priority is that you can easily set a shutter speed too high - i.e. your lens cannot open up (max aperture) enough to give a good exposure at the shutter speed you have set. So you get under-exposed result. This is because, of course, your lens has a limited set of apertures, epsecially at the largest possible opening. The EVF may show you a good exposure, but if your lens cannot do it, it cannot do it, period.

Aperture priority, on the other hand, seldom has this problem because the camera has almost unlimited shutter speeds it can use. It can go very fast or VERY slow to accomodate whatever aperture you have set, so you seldom, if ever, get a poor exposure. The only way you can get a poor exposure is if the day is super bright and you have set your ISO way too high.

The most-used way around your shutter priority problem is to also use auto-ISO. That way, the camera will boost the ISO when it cannot open your lens enough to give you a proper exposure. The other way around it is to use Aperture priority ;)
I am on auto iso 200- 2000 range

JanW

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Do you shoot jpeg, raw+jpeg or raw only?
Some settings affect jpeg but not the raw (highlight control).
Could it be that the histogram reflects the jpeg settings but you only record the raw?
I never tried this myself because I shoot raw + jpeg.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Have you by any chance made an extreme adjustment to the Histogram Settings in ⚙ ➡ D3?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
As a last resort you could save your settings in Workspace and try a factory reset. If it’s fixed in defaults you can work back through uploading each custom mode and the ‘current’ settings one at a time until you see the issue again, then you narrow down which group of settings are causing it. Or do a second factory reset and then just restore the custom modes and/or ‘current’ settings that don’t have the issue.

royd63uk

Mu-43 Regular
As a last resort you could save your settings in Workspace and try a factory reset. If it’s fixed in defaults you can work back through uploading each custom mode and the ‘current’ settings one at a time until you see the issue again, then you narrow down which group of settings are causing it. Or do a second factory reset and then just restore the custom modes and/or ‘current’ settings that don’t have the issue.
I have done a factory reset seems to have solved it..but cant really check until tomorrow as it is too dark now.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hard reset.
If it persists, warranty claim.
It shouldn't be doing that, especially with the shutter/aperture priority difference in behaviour.

Phocal

God
Why not try turning off Highlights and Shadows. Since you shoot raw you gain nothing by using it anyway.

That is not true. Yes you have more room for error with RAW compared to JPG, but the highlight and shadow blinkies are just as important...especially in high contrast settings like photographing a bird that has both white and black feathers.

JanW

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jan
This is not what I meant with highlight and shadow control.
What I mean is on page 113 of the manual and can be found on the SCP:
Highlight shadow control.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This only affects the JPEG but also the histogram and the highlight and shadow warnings
As far as I know histogram is based on the jpeg settings.

But.... it's just a theory because I don't have an Olympus camera to test it. Only a simple G5 and GX800 which do not have highlight and shadow control except when editing the raw in-camera. Something must have been set that caused this behaviour and this could have been a possibility.

Latest threads

Top Bottom