1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF doesn't like the cold

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pellicle, Jan 30, 2014.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

Just wondering how many others have noticed if their EVF goes a funny distorted color when its cold. Not the screen, just the EVF.

Both my G1 and GH1 do this when its less than -18°C (meaning less than 0°F), and I don't mean including chill factor.

Have the GH2 viewfinders addressed this?

Thanks

2. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Well...it's a LCD, Liquid Crystal Display. These crystals, like most liquids when exposed to low enough temperatures, stop being liquids and start becoming solid. There is probably a page in your manual about it. The GH3 has a OLED EVF, which because it lacks the liquid crystals, doesn't have this issue. OLEDs also use less power under most circumstances. However, color tends to over saturate with OLEDs (among other minor issues), so the GH3 is the only M4/3 model using it.

The touchscreen on the GH3, I believe, is still LCD, and if memory serves there's a warning in the manual about low temperatures. I wouldn't be shocked if a similar block of text is in all camera manuals.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Officially these cameras are rated to operate from 32-104 F. While exceeding this temperature range may not cause your camera to fail, certain features may not operate correctly. Heck, I can't even move as fast when the temperature is near 0 ! When I need to be outdoors in such frigid temperatures I usually throw one or two chemical hand warmer packs in my camera bag. It's also worth mentioning that its a good idea to keep any spare batteries in your pocket, or as near as possible to a warm body part.

4. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    ^Completely agreed on the batteries. Go for the warmest place possible. I store mine coke-mule-going-through-customs style. :cool:

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Oh ... well all this time I'd thought differently

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/3
    In case its different to the EVF on the GH1
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/4
    But both exhibited the same issues. Yet the rear scree screen, which remains fine is
    So would you mind explaining based on your logic why my EVF is fine and the rear LCD not? I mean assuming the liquids are freezing?

Having spent many winters in Finland where I do multi-day ski touring I'm familiar with battery issues in -27°C for two or three days :)

Also, you could try being polite and not bolding things as if I'm too stupid to get what you are saying. No need to be rude

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    :rofl: A little TMI

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Something which may be related to this
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG1/DMCG1VIEWFINDER.HTM

zbeamsplitter-sm.

Perhaps the temp could be changing the physical alignments?

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi Bob
    Yes, I know ... I'm not complaining about it just curious as to why. The camera still takes great shots, but you can forget trying to turn the focusing ring on any Panasonic lenses at -25°C and below.

Also, don't breath on the viewfinder or it will be Mr Frosty for the rest of the trip.

Another cold temp tip is zip lock bags for all gear when (and before) coming inside. Cuts down on interior condensation.

9. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Liquid was bolded for emphasis, not to insult you. How about you give people the benefit of the doubt ESPECIALLY when they're answering a question YOU asked?

But since you're not familiar with the technology here, there's different kinds of LCD's. Field sequential displays (like those in EVFs) switch at 180 times per second, once red, once green, once blue. It then cycles through the colors again to get 60 frames a second. That's why you get that weird color effect when you blink while looking at the EVF. Because each pixel is switching more often on the EVF than on the touch panel (which uses a traditional LCD with three (RGB in most cases, but not always) subpixels per pixel only switches at 1/3 the rate. Because it's switching more slowly, it's more resistant to temperature.

Also, they have an LED backlight, which is why DPR mentions. Liquid crystals don't emit light. The backlight shines through the LCD matrix and that's what you see. OLED displays drop the matrix altogether. The backlight and the color are generated in one plane, and they are solid-state, which is why OLED displays and the backlight in your LCD don't fail. Just the pixels, which can't change fast enough.