EVF - disappointment

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by re-note, Apr 30, 2010.

1. re-note

re-note Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Bremen -Germany
    I made the final move and bought an E-P2 a week ago.:smile:
    For a three days jazz event I changed the settings to manual for shutter, aperture and focus as I am used to rely on the EVF and make minor corrections to what I see. Thus I am able to work swiftly without having to fiddle with the buttons to correct automatic exposure.
    The optical quality of the EVF did convince me, when after fourteen hours of almost uninterrupted manual focusing with a Tamron 2,8/80-200 I still got pictures where the musicians were in focus.:thumbup:
    On the other side I became disgusted with the built quality of the EVF almost instantly when it used to slide of its shoe and would not stay in its horizontal position but tilt up when touched by my glasses. Even worse, because also nothing to hold it in its place, the dioptre adjustment ring proved itself a constant nuisance when I found it had been moved inadvertently again and this is deadly with manual focusing.
    I had to use some tape :eek: to keep things in place and all the photographers present at the event had that smirk on their faces when they looked appreciatingly at their NikCans.
    Does anybody have the same problem and found a lasting solution to improve the flimsy built of the EVF ?

I am looking forward to your suggestions.

re-note Rolf

pen e-p2 sucher.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ouch, that looks awful. I had a concern about that diaper wheel when I first saw pictures of the EVF, but yours is the first report I've seen of it being a real problem. Hope someone here can give some advice about how to deal with that!
  3. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

When you push down a little harder on it, it should click into place, no need for the tape. I haven't been having your diopter problem either...not sure what to do about that.
  4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Nope, no problem with my diopter adjustment either - it seems quite tight, and yes I use the latch which clicks the thing in place in the position you have it taped.

Maybe send it back for a replacement?

5. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

I'd try the suggestion above to make sure the diopter ring is seated properly and if that doesn't fix it, return it and see if it may just be a faulty unit.

I haven't experienced any of these issues with my EVF.
  6. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

Oh and as far as the Nikcans go... Some of my favorite images I took using a toy camera with tape & velcro all over it. Don't get me wrong, I love my F100 and D90 but come on...
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

No problems with mine either. I think Brian's suggestion is a good one, and I hope you will achieve satisfaction with yours soon. Please let us know what happens.
  8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I must say my EVF-2 is not a tight fit causing some anxiety. I now store it separately from the body.
  9. re-note

re-note Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Bremen -Germany
    I phoned Olympus/Germany. They run a hotline for technical support. -
    I am afraid I got the answer I expected beforehand. There is no solution to this problem, as the EVF is constructed that way and that´s it.
    So I keep it bandaged for the moment until I am going to wire it.
    I am going to follow the advice of franklyspeaking - the contraption :horse: takes marvellous photos at least.
    The Novoflex R-adapter I bought with the camera, lost its catch during the first shots, but that is easier to deal with as it is a clear case. The dealer will exchange it for a new one.
    This night´s concert the pana FZ-50 is back on duty. It worked fine the last four years.
    Thanks for all your concern.

re-note Rolf
  10. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I guess I'm a fortunate one who doesn't tend to have issues with his equipment. Been shooting digital now for 15 years, had too many DSLR bodies and lenses to count, mostly the good stuff. Now added a PL1 and several lenses and a VF-2. NO problems thus far. works as advertised. My VF-2 slides on nice and snug, no slop anywhere to be found. The diopter is very tight so it never moves unless I make it. Glad I'm not cursed :tongue:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. My experience matches dcisive's.

I use the VF-2 on an E-P2. It attaches firmly, though it -is- a fragile protuberance on an otherwise solid camera, particularly when I've got an adapter and an old OM lens on it. (The kit lens is similarly fragile when extended.)

As a result, I've developed a practice of taking the VF-2 off before dropping the camera into my camera bag, and holding the camera carefully by the body (or by grasping the adapter itself) when changing lenses.

But I -love- the VF2. It clicks nicely into the horizontal position, and will hold an intermediate angle (though loosely). I probably use it in the vertical position 80% of the time and at some intermediate angle another 5%. The vertical position works well for me both on a tripod and while bracing my arms against my chest.

The diopter is a little difficult to turn, so it was a bit of a hassle to get it to the right value. It hasn't budged since.

Maybe there's a Quality Control issue?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Mine's a very tight fit and the dioptre ring hasn't moved once, nor does it tilt out of its locked position. I'd look at taking it back and comparing to another one, yours could be a bad one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

re-note, if you bought it locally perhaps the camera dealer will take it back and let you exchange it for another, and deal with Olympus themselves? Just a thought...perhaps a bit of wishful thinking but some local camera stores are very good with their customers.