1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EVF brightness and color

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mposter, May 20, 2010.

1. mposter

mposter New to Mu-43

May 20, 2010
    I've spent an hour with a new E-P2 (and the manual) and will say in advance I only know enough to be dangerous, but...

There is a disappointing difference between the brightness and color of the EVF vs. the rear screen in shooting mode. The manual shows adjustment options but states the adjustments are for playback only (if I'm reading right).

The rear screen shows color and brightness beautifully similar to the real world but the EVF seems too bright and, outside at near dusk, very blue in color temp. Am I doing something wrong do you think?

Michael

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

mposter, first of all welcome to the board. My guess is that you inadvertently have the White Balance set to incandescent, florescent or something other than Auto or Daylight... I should know because I had the exact same thing happen to me when I first got my E-P2.:redface: I was so new to it all, it hadn't dawned on me. Check out your white balance controls and that should do it for you because the EVF is fantastic and very true to real life.

Let us know how you do!

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Also check in the gear menu about the display brightness.
    There is a setting to boost the display. Turn it off and it should match the evf.

4. mposter

mposter New to Mu-43

May 20, 2010
    Still no good

I had the WB set to auto and have tried other settings. Live view boost was off. I must admit this is the first EVF camera I've had. For nearly 5 years I've been shooting nothing but 5D or 5DMK11 so my expectations may be part of the problem. That said I have heard such wonderful things about EVF's and my experience so far isn't very good.

The LCD is giving me a fairly realistic rendering. The EVF is significantly brighter, has more contrast, and is a click or two cooler in temp. Maybe something's defective?

5. BBW

I don't know, mposter. Did you buy it locally? Perhaps you can go into a camera shop that sells them and compare. In my opinion, mine is perfect. Wish I could offer you more help.

6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    There is a Menu setting for the color balance and display brightness of the Electronic Viewfinder.

Menu;
    Gears Icon- OK to select;
    D Disp/ ))) / PC - OK to select;
    Page Down using the arrows and you finally get to

EVF Adjust. Select with OK and it allows you to set the color balance and brightness of the EVF.

Got that everyone... Was the very first place I though of looking for it...NOT!

I just adjusted the brightness down on mine one notch, and the color balance to -2. Works better for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

Thanks Brian! I guess I just lucked out to have mine arrive all set up - and am very thankful. Appreciate your posting this!

8. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I always believe in randomly typing and clicking until a computer does what I want it to do.

Now the computers are in the cameras.

9. mposter

mposter New to Mu-43

May 20, 2010
    I'd tried the EVF adjustments, Brian, no help there.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. It's on its way back to Amazon.

10. BBW

I am sorry, but it is good that you've discovered this right away. Please let us know how things resolve themselves.

11. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Just to add: the adjustments that I made using the EVF settings looked like they took affect in shooting mode.

I suspect you got a bad sample. I find the EVF to be quite good. "Amazing" is the word that comes to mind.

12. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I use a lot of Nikon rangefinder cameras, known for their 1x viewfinders. With them, you can keep both eyes open and get a "3-D" effect with the rangefinder patch appearing to float in air.

With the E-P2 and EVF, I could match the color and intensity of the VF to my left eye, and at ~40mm on the lens, get a 1x view. It was like watching the electronic icons and status float in air, akin to the Nikon RF.

So- I'm thinking, the controls seem to work in liveview mode. Maybe the EVF in question simply is not responding to all of the controls.