EVF blackout on E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, Apr 14, 2012.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I've had my E-M5 for less than 24hrs and I can tell it's a winner - a significant step up from the E-P3, another camera I loved.

I haven't seen any comments on the EVF 'blackout'. Some weeks back there were posts elsewhere referring to a long blackout after each shot - but they were pre-production models and not investigated.

When I started using my E-M5, I noticed the blackout was longer than with my E-P3: two flashes of the 'writing to card' icon before restoring the screen - or about 1/3 to 1/2 sec. I'm using a Sandisk Extreme card - same as on the E-P3.
    Also, this is for single shot, no Review.

What's interesting is that when switching to multiple shot, the screen comes back on almost immediately, even when the 'writing to card' icon is flashing.

This strikes me as a bug that could be fixed with a FW update. In the meantime, the work around is to set 'multiple shot', say 3fps, so that a short press of the shutter yields only one shot.

One other challenge: I couldn't get the APC cover off! It requires a special technique: on the left side (with the arrow), pry out (away from the hot shoe and toward the Mode dial) and back.

Otherwise: very pleased!

Other thoughts:

1. Hum - not an issue for me.
    2. When using the LCD at waist, the Eye sensor turns off the LCD - solution: Turn of Eye Sensor (deep in Menu options), and make it a Myset for easy access.
    3. Save battery by setting LCD to Off when using the EVF.
    4. Buttons are quite easy for me to reach. I find it easier to use my index finger for both the dials, rather than the thumb on the rear dial.
    5. Finally got it set up so that half press of the shutter initiates IS and Magnify remains on - a useful combination for fine-tuning focus on long legacy glass!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks for the pointers Tom!

As for the hum, is it there, but it's not loud enough to bother you? Or it is not there at all?

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Out of curiosity, what is the write-speed on your SD card? (should say on the front...ie 30mb if you're not familiar with such things)

I'm curious if we could speed that process up for you with a faster card.

4. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Can you tell us how you set it so IS stays on when in magnified view? I remember reading somewhere that it's not possible to do :D

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Are you sure this is showing the live view, and not the image just captured? If you pan the camera during multiple-shot mode, does the image in the VF keep up with the pan, or lag behind?

Panasonic's cameras (the GH2 for sure) does this. Even if you have image review turned off, in high speed burst mode the viewfinder shows the data that was last displayed in the VF. Current mirrorless cameras simply can't write the sensor data to two places at once, so when the captured image is being written to memory, the EVF can't show a live view. To prevent complete finder blackout, the GH2 plays a game of showing what you last looked at.

I'd be very surprised if the OM-D isn't doing the same thing.

6. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    This.

7. babbit

babbit New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2011
    I read that the EM-5's new dual core Truepic processor uses 1 core to process the live view and the other to process the actual capture and jpeg generation. That means that unlike other micro four thirds cameras, it can simultaneously write sensor data to 2 places at once.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not so sure that's true. The sensor itself can still write only one channel at at time. And it seems unlikely that that second core would work only during burst mode, as the OP describes. But I guess that could be a bug. Time will tell, once we get more real world experience with the camera, but I suspect the OP is seeing the preview image, and not true live view.

9. babbit

babbit New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2011
    The single vs burst effect may be a bug or not. However, I did a quick google search and people at the official EM-5 announcement show can corroborate that the dual processor (or core?) uses 1 for live view and the other for image processing, which results in the blackout time being significantly reduced.

10. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Re: Blackout and 'interim images' - I have no doubt that happens on high speed. I'm using the Lower fps and have again tested by taking a (one) shot and immediately moving the camera: the only image that appears is the new, current image - and it happens as I originally described.
    Re: Hum - it's there but I don't hear it until I'm within 12" or so. YMMV
    Re: SD Card: Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB.
    Re: Active IS on Half Press and Magnify
    Cog C: Half Way Rls with IS ON (I thought there was something else to do, but on my cam, pressing the shutter has not effect on canceling Magnify, so this should be sufficient)

Hope these responses help...

• Like Like x 1
  11. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks Tom. A quick question, can you assign this (turning the LCD on\off) to a button? I realize this might be a waste of button for most people, but well..

12. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I have had mine for 24 hrs as well.. hummmm noise.. .. no problem.. if you stick your ear up to it Yes.. No big deal.. no blackout problem either.. (but I am using a fast SD Card) and as far of tilt screen blanking out when flipping screen to horizontal position, I just moved it a whisker from my body so the EVF had a tiny bit of light.. and problem solved as well.. I LOVE the camera.. the deal is: buy one and you will see... great camera.. I have had the EP-3 as well.. both are good.. but EM-5 is a few steps up.. just my 3 cents.. however you have to remember like someone said before.. I am a total idiot.. LOL.. so consider the source..
    Doug

13. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    No need - the Info button does it. Set the EVF button so that the SCP screen (rather than the LV screen) appears when you take you eye away from the EVF. Then the Info button changes from SCP to Level to blank with successive presses.

14. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I should also mention the Huummm noise.. sheesh.. How did anyone even figure it had a noise.. what do those nick pickers do.. ? I would have never ever even noticed that noise if it wasn't brought to my attention.. in fact I used the camera for awhile and before I shut it off my GF said..you should check that noise folks were talking about.. if she wouldn't have mentioned it, I would not have noticed it..
    Doug

15. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    lol when I tried the camera at the store yesterday I held it up to my ears but couldn't hear anything. The store wasn't that busy but there was quite a bit of ambient noise though.

First the hum, the lug nut position, then the buttons, I wonder what's next =/ Either I'm just super excited I'm overseeing all those "issues" or the folks that reported them are nitpicking every little thing haha

16. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Re: Half-press and Magnify one more setting

Hi,

I found the other setting needed for IS and Magnify on half-press:

CogD LV Close up Mode: mode2. This combined with
    CogC Half Way Rls With IS: ON

Yields sustained Magnify with IS on Half-Press: great for long legacy lenses!

17. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Oh, I forgot to mention AF speed.. the EP-3, EPL-3 and Panny G3 are fast.. but the EM-5 is Lighting fast.. even on my Panny 14-45, which is the only lens I have tried so far.. go buy this camera.. you will love... I am going to take this camera to bed tonite and kick my girlfriend out to the couch. LOL.. :smile:
    Doug

18. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks Tom.. I will try that..
    Doug

19. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country

You better believe this camera will bring the trolls out in full force. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree with that.. :smile: