EVF bad

Very strange pattern appearing in my ev on left side. Just noticed it this morning. Tough to take a picture of it but managed to capture something with my phone. Had the lens cap on. It doesn't interfere with all the other on-screen info and barely even shows up when taking pictures. The read LCD doesn't show this problem nor does it appear in the taken photos. I'm thinking this needs to go back to Panasonic for warranty repair.
20190408_130936.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks, Walt. I tried all sorts of things like removing the battery, resetting the camera, changing the aspect ratio, different lenses...all to no avail. Luckily, I purchased this GX85 in August of 2017 and it came with the 2-year extension to the 1-year warranty so I'm covered until August 2020. I contacted Panasonic support and am awaiting instructions.

I'm disappointed that the camera developed this problem but, for the last two years, I've been dragging it all over the planet and have been very happy with it. Frankly, if it weren't under warranty, I'd just live with the issue (as it doesn't really interfere with picture-taking). When I first saw it, I thought: "Oh cool! Panny's given me a choice of patterned backgrounds!"

Recv'd an eMail from Panasonic this morning. The "stain on LVF" (their words) has been repaired as they "replaced defective parts" on the "defective LVF unit" and are shipping it back this afternoon. I should have it in a few days. :dance4::yahoo:

Camera arrived this PM. Nice repair job (seriously). I think they replaced the entire EVF module including the eyepiece as I had left a couple of shreds of silicone seal on the eyecup after removing the GX8 eyecup I had glued over the original. Once I dialed in the proper diopter, I was back in business. Problem developed April 8th; received repaired unit today, the 24th. Could have been faster but I'm not complaining.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
Great to hear a good report on Panasonic Repair Service. I know they have been improving recently. Glad to hear the efforts are paying off. 2 weeks is not that bad for mail, repair, mail back. Could have been faster, but they probably do a lot of service through McAllen.

I'm doing my rear wheel myself this time. Part is on it's way from Hong Kong ($26 USD). Should be in this week or next. Disassembly complete - hope I can remember how to re-assemble it again. It was actually not that hard. a Phillips screwdriver for glasses, about 12 screws. I tested it at various levels of disassembly to be sure I hadn't bricked it. So far, so good. :) Two screws and a tiny ribbon cable to put the new rear wheel on, then re-attach the top and back. Pray for me please. The backup camera in my avatar (E-M5.2/12-50) is doing lovely so far. Might keep it as a bad weather kit. Not as easy to shoot as the GX85.

Great to hear a good report on Panasonic Repair Service. I know they have been improving recently. Glad to hear the efforts are paying off. 2 weeks is not that bad for mail, repair, mail back. Could have been faster, but they probably do a lot of service through McAllen.

I'm doing my rear wheel myself this time. Part is on it's way from Hong Kong ($26 USD). Should be in this week or next. Disassembly complete - hope I can remember how to re-assemble it again. It was actually not that hard. a Phillips screwdriver for glasses, about 12 screws. I tested it at various levels of disassembly to be sure I hadn't bricked it. So far, so good. :) Two screws and a tiny ribbon cable to put the new rear wheel on, then re-attach the top and back. Pray for me please. The backup camera in my avatar (E-M5.2/12-50) is doing lovely so far. Might keep it as a bad weather kit. Not as easy to shoot as the GX85.
You are far more adventurous than I. I'm good with computers and hacking together manual lenses with extension tubes and epoxy; but opening up the camera...*shudder*

I'll light a candle.

Say a prayer...light a candle. Reminded me of this:

- Paddy O'Reilly goes into the confessional and says "Oh, bless me, Father, for I've sinned. I've stolen some lumber from the place where I work."
- Father Murphy replies, "What did you do with this lumber, my son?"
- "Well, Father, I built a bird house for the little birdies."
- Father Murphy says, "At least some good came of your sin, my son; so let me tell you your penance..."
- Paddy interrupts, "Just a minute, Father; let me finish my story. I had j-u-s-t enough lumber left over to put a two-car garage on my house."
- Father yells, "What??? This is a mortal sin. Much penance needs to be done. Have you ever made a Novena?"
- To which, Paddy replies, "No, Father, I haven't...but if you have the plans, I can take care of you, too."

A Lion's Club joke from my late father-in-law.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom