1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EVF -AND- Flash Trigger?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by KBeezie, Oct 12, 2012.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I have a VF-3 on the way for my E-P3 (anyone ever seen that VF-3 in black?), but I got to thinking, in the event that I would like to trigger a strobe or external flash... is there a known work around for this?

I figure my only chance of doing such would be to use the pop-up flash at near-lowest power to optically trigger either the strobe (or positioning one of my optical slaves with my wireless trigger on a L-bracket).

But was thinking wouldn't it be great if there was some kind of wireless (PC-sync/etc) trigger system that would work with what olympus normally uses with their own brands of flashes etc?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, that pop-up flash IS a wireless Remote Commander to wirelessly control all Olympus R-series flash units. Your wish has already been answered (PC Sync is not wireless, btw).

Unfortunately that doesn't answer my wish. A simple PC Sync jack is all I've been asking for since the E-P1 since I don't use the wireless commander. That's okay though.... I really find I use either flash or EVF and don't really need both at the same time. When I can't do without my EVF (ie, like in bright sunlight), I'm usually in ambient light and not using flash. However, it would be nice to have it at all times. But that's where the E-M5 has now stepped in to fill the need. However, I'm still enamoured with the extreme packability of the Minis and Lites so I still work around the accessory EVF.. :)

3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

Well technically not, I'd have to have a Olympus R-Series Flash, and PC-sync can be wireless if you have a wireless transmitter. ie: I have a little hot-shoe adapter I put in the hot shoe which wirelessly transmits to receivers I have (which are connected either via hotshoe or PC sync cable). The hot-shoe unit can also be triggered by a short PC sync cable into the side if need be.

Owning an olympus R series flash, isn't going to solve utilizing the pair of my photogenic powerlight 750 strobes...

Now on the plus side... when I need a flash unit or even strobes... I'm usually indoors.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, and that is why I have always wished for just a simple PC Sync port. It takes up almost no space and very little wiring...

The E-M5 is a solution though, as you can turn any hotshoe into a PC Sync or use it to directly mount a transmitter. It's not a solution if you want something even smaller (ie, like a Mini), but it's a solution if you're looking at E-P3 sized cameras but the lack of separate hotshoe and EVF bothers you.

5. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    :p The EM-5 wasn't out when I purchased the E-P3 last december.

6. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    What i was always wondering is if the evf has contacts and interacts with the accessory port AND hotshoe or of it just uses the hotshoe to keep it in place.

If the last case is true someone should make a little hotshoe adapter with pc sync and a evf to accessory port cable - although this might look weird :D

7. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    It would appear that the VF2 and VF3 have no metal/electronic contact with the hot-shoe portion of the camera and only the accessory port. As such the hot-shoe portion is only to hold it and keep it stable. Though I've wondered the same about having maybe an extremely low profile hotshoe->PC cable type of adapter.