EVF-2 or EVF-3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Dede, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Hi,

I'm pondering about getting either one of these viewfinders right now, and I can't really decice. I took pictures with a Olympus E420 today, and I really liked it's viewinder, how good is it (just that I can estimate how good the one that I'll get will be). Do you think the lock on and stuff like that + the lower price of the EVF-3 make it better, or is the EVF-2 better due to better resolution?

Thanks in advance

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The VF-2 is the better viewfinder for sure. The price difference is quite large though, so that's really the thing you need to decide for yourself.

It's not so much the higher resolution, but the larger view size of the VF-2 that makes a difference. However, both VF-2 and VF-3 are a larger view than the E-420. The VF-3 is the about the size of the E-30, and the VF-2 is about the size of the E-5 (and E-3). If you liked the E-420, then you should be happy with either EVF. ;)

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The VF-2, definitely. Despite what the specs. claim, the difference is actually very substantial. The missing lock is annoying, but not nearly as annoying as the small, pixellated view that you get with the VF-3.

DH

4. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright thanks, that's what I thought. I'm propably getting the EVF-2 now, however I wonder how annoying the missing lock is? Does that mean that as soon as you turn the camera a little bit the EVF-2 falls off?

Thanks in advance

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've never had my EVF-2 come off. Ever...

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's not loose per se, but if you push or bump it repeatedly, it can come off. I've never lost mine, but I do know of two people who did.

If you are particularly adept at losing things, you can probably rig up an ad hoc solution with a little string and a rubber band.

DH