Everything I know about OM Zuikos

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
For anyone interested in obtaining Olympus OM-System Zuiko manual focus lenses, I have converted Gary Reese's exhaustive lens tests into a proper database, with search and sort capability. I also averaged all the various tests, per lens, to come up with an overall rating.

This can help you target highly desirable lenses (I include a "top ten" list) as well as check out potential purchases for any "gotchas."

Gary's original tests (text-only) are available here.
Wow! That must have been a huge amount of work. Thank you!

Regards, C.

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
I have the ZUIKO 300MM F/2.8 ED AF lens for 4/3, mounted on the EM1 mk2 (w/adapter) and love it, but I wonder if I can mount it on a canon EF? Does anyone knows of a suitable adapter? tried the one I have for the G.ZUIKO AUTO-W 1:3.5 28MM with an adapter ring "https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L57MTBL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" and works fine (actually have an adapter to m43 and LM too, as I like the rendering of this lens)). The adapter works fine on the 28mm, but does not lock on the 300mm.
If anyone knows of a proper adapter from 4/3 to EF, I would appreciate the help
Thanks

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
lol - wait!!! you meant for the Canon or the Olympus?
I get it - but as far as I know, there is not a m43 adapter to Leica - only 4/3.
talk about snobbery....

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
actually never tried, but it might be an issue with distances to sensor ....
or might be the m43 lenses are so good that there is no need to chase down leicas in order to get better IQ :th_salute:
otoh, the noctilux looks really silly on the Pen F

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
.... here's a list camera register (camera flange to sensor/film plane) .... if your camera has a smaller register than the lens system you want to attach, then most likely there is an adapter for it ...

1582182982689.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
.... here's a list camera register (camera flange to sensor/film plane) .... if your camera has a smaller register than the lens system you want to attach, then most likely there is an adapter for it ...

View attachment 803762
Thanks for the info - I guess then it goes to having a mount that generates enough interest for someone to make it.
Thee are two types of OM zuiko I have found; one has a sticking inwards screw, and the other relies on internal spring leafs. The first one works well with the zuiko 28mm f3.5, but not with the 300mm. Meaning it attaches, but does not get secured and locked. The second one does not mount correctly and then ...does not want to come out (don't ask).
The thing is the zuiko 28 has the spring locks on the outside of lens and the 300 not.
If you happen to know where I can find one that will allow me to mount on the canon, it would be great

Regarding the m43, if there is someone making the mount ( m43 to leica M), then there is the aperture control issue. Top of my head, I think all olympus m43 lenses have automatic aperture (please correct me if I am wrong). Other m43 lens manufactures have indeed fully manual m43's and those would work I believe.
I will be happy with the older zuikos...as I am already with the 28, so I will not be in a quest for this mount (m43 to lm).

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
two types of OM zuiko I have found; one has a sticking inwards screw, and the other relies on internal spring leafs.
I assume you are talking about the OM to 4/3rds or OM to m43s adapter rather than the OM lenses themselves?

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
..... the OM mount is a different mount than the 4/3 mount .... the adapter in the link you posted is for OM to EOS ..... NOT 4/3 to EOS ....

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
..... the OM mount is a different mount than the 4/3 mount .... the adapter in the link you posted is for OM to EOS ..... NOT 4/3 to EOS ....
ah! that explains it then....tried searching in Google as olympus 4/3 to canon ef, and mostly points to m43 or the om. Is there a more specific mount name for my lens mount?

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
I assume you are talking about the OM to 4/3rds or OM to m43s adapter rather than the OM lenses themselves?
no, actually it seems that I don't have it right - so, Olympus has 3 mounts OM fron old film cameras, m43 from recent canera models, and 4/3 ( is there another designation?) for old full frame? or 4/3? dslr's? seems that I need some help understanding the mounts...

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
.... these are the Olympus mounts ....
Pen mount (bayonet) ..... adapter is available to mount to m43
FTL mount (M42 screw) ..... adapter is available to mount to m43
OM mount (bayonet) ..... adapter is available to mount to m43
4/3mount (bayonet) ..... adapter is available to mount to m43
m43 mount (bayonet) ..... adapter not required to mount to m43

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
no, actually it seems that I don't have it right - so, Olympus has 3 mounts OM fron old film cameras, m43 from recent canera models, and 4/3 ( is there another designation?) for old full frame? or 4/3? dslr's? seems that I need some help understanding the mounts...
4/3 was a DSLR mount. The sensor is the same as mu-43, and the lenses can be adapted to mu-43, but most need PDAF bodies.

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
4/3 was a DSLR mount. The sensor is the same as mu-43, and the lenses can be adapted to mu-43, but most need PDAF bodies.
Indeed - it works very well on the EM1 mk2 but not on the Pen F
meanwhile I was able to find an old post inquiring about same mount 4/3 to canon EF. It seems that is not possible or simply does not exist. I do have 4/3 to m4/3 adapter and maybe a m4/3 to ef (the reverse for sure), but I don't even think it will work. Not that I need a 300mm of the ef, but if indeed the adapter was an easy and viable thing, why not?
Thanks

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
Indeed - ........... old post inquiring about same mount 4/3 to canon EF. It seems that is not possible or simply does not exist. I do have 4/3 to m4/3 adapter and maybe a m4/3 to ef (the reverse for sure), but I don't even think it will work. ........
Thanks
.... look at the above chart, the EOS has a register of 44mm ..... the 4/3 has the register of 38.58mm ..... that tells all ....

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
Easy-peasy - just need a 5.42mm adapter.
In all ends being a good thing. Now I have less reason to chase down old 4/3 glass

Luckysomer

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Eric
Is there a thread or link to the best OM Lens to M4/3 adapters? Metabones sounds great but I would hope there is some noteworthy un-boosted adapter worthy of OM glass and Olympus 4/3 cameras.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom