Everything I know about OM Zuikos

3dpan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alec
Late to the thread, but I’ve been building up a pretty extensive collection of OM lenses over the last couple of months.

Once the last one —for now — arrives (a 50mm 3.5 macro) I’ll take a picture of the collection.

They run the gamut from 28mm right up to a monster 300mm f/4.5

Favorites are

50mm f/1.4
85mm f/2
135mm f/2.8

All those are giving me fantastic results with the speed booster ultra and a pen e-p3 and my newly purchased OM-D M5 ii

I also shoot 35mm on an OM1 .. no crop factor there

My collection is limited to 4 lenses, 50/1.4, 135/4.5macro, 300/4.5, and 500/8.
I would like more but their prices have deterred me.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
One user on YouTube successfully cut off the metal petals for his 24/2.8 in order to safely fit the lens to his Speed Booster Ultra and without disrupting any of the lens's function.
I've used two methods:
  1. I carefully cut a circle of cardboard the size of the rear element, put a cotton ball between the rear element and the cardboard, and used non-residue "blue tape" to hold it on, and to cover all the open spaces in the lens, to avoid getting metal filings inside. Then I carefully used a metal file to shave down the tab. This was on the superb OM Zuiko 90mm ƒ2 Macro.
  2. I didn't cover anything. I grabbed one end of the tab with some needle-nose pliers, and twisted. It rolled up like a sardine-can lid, and came off when I reached the other end. This was on the superb OM Zuiko 21mm ƒ2.
I recommend method #2. It took about ten seconds, versus about a half-hour with #1. :)

I started with OM Zuikos in 1977, when I got an OM-2 and a 75-150mm ƒ4. Over the years, I gathered more gear, until I basically had all the fast wides, all the macros, and a few of the longer ones.

I even had the almighty 350mm ƒ2.8 for a while, but when I moved into E-System, I just could not get it to perform, so I sold it. Similar story with the OM 600/6.5, but I somehow forgot to sell that one. Fast forward to the OM-D System, and I find the OM 600/6.5 works just fine! Must have been mirror-slap on the E-System… wish I had never sold that 350/2.8…

My favourites are the 21/2, 90/2, and the 500/8 mirror, the finest mirror lens I've ever used, by a long shot. (And I've tried — and been disappointed with — many.) I also love the 135/4.5 Macro on the Telescoping Extension Tube, and still use the dedicated macro lenses on a modified Nikon PB-4 bellows.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These tiny, exquisitely crafted OM lenses are what has kept me loyal to Olympus through the years!

Last edited:
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I even had the almighty 350mm ƒ2.8 for a while, but when I moved into E-System, I just could not get it to perform, so I sold it… wish I had never sold that 350/2.8…
Yay! I got another one on a KEH special sale for under $1,600! It was listed as "BGN" (second to lowest rating) but looks like an eBay "MINT++++++" rating. :)

On a Metabones Speedbooster Ultra, this becomes a 250mm ƒ/2.0. I sort of wonder how it compares to the "real" OM 250/2, but I'm not going to spend $5k to find out.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So anyway, I just wanted to see some more action on this thread! Let's see your OM Zuikos!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom