1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Everyone getting rid of their E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by blotto, May 28, 2013.

1. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Hope this is the correct place for this.

Why does it seem like everyone is selling their E-M5, it's very common in the for sale forum. I really like this camera and am looking to buy one in the near future. But is there something i'm missing here? I know there's the new EP5, a new G6 just around the corner, and Olympus just teased us with a new OM-D. Is this the reason or is there something wrong with them? Don't know if its a dumb question, just thought I'd ask, since this is the camera i want.

Thanks in advance

2. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    GAS is my guess.

It's a great camera. Pick yourself up a bargain!

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    If it's what you want, join in on the grab :biggrin:

There's a sort of tongue-in-cheek forum here, see what they don't like. :smile:

4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    GAS, I just got mine on ebay recently and absolutely love it.. Night and day compared to when I first loved m4/3 with the EP2/GF1

5. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Everyone?

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Nothing wrong with the E-M5 blotto. What you have to realize is that many folks around here like to try all sorts of gear. So jumping from m4/3s to NEX to Fuji X and beyond and then back and forth as the latest and greatest models are released is not too unusual.

My E-M5 has been gone for a little while now, but I may jump back in the pool if we start seeing some serious bargains. As long as Olympus is selling refurb E-M5s for $759 I won't be too impressed by used bodies at $700 or more.

7. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I thought the E-M5 would be the perfect camera for me but I realized i don't use the EVF and l love the form of the EP-3 so I think the EP-5 is perfect for me especially with wifi.

Having said that. The E-M5 is an awesome camera. Dare I say better than my D600? because of it's size and fun factor.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Everyone's selling it because everyone bought it. I don't know if any other m4/3 camera was so heavily hyped or visible in the mainstream. It's probably reasonable to assume that the sale rate for any given camera is close to a fixed percentage, but in absolute terms that will fluctuate with popularity.

9. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I'm one of the people that likes to try new things. Started back into u4/3 with the E-PL5 and added an E-M5. At that point all of my Canon stuff was sold. The quality of both blew me away. The prices are great now and will probably get better when its replacement comes out as people like me race to the newest model. Although I have to say, the new model will need to offer something special for me to give this one up.

Since there's no real date on the new one, I'd say go for it now and enjoy it (and the low prices). Waiting can backfire... Canon has come out with some cameras that actually caused the old model to go up in price on the used market (as the new one was not well received).

Good luck,
    gary

10. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Exactly :thumbup:

Reminded me of a stat about the number of repairs for Samsung TV sets - it was high. Of course, the number of sales is high also :smile:

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just bought one. Lovin' it.

12. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    I still love mine and I'm not planning on getting rid of it.

13. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts, guess it does make sense that u see a lot of them for sale, since it is a very popular camera. And like Demiro mentioned above, a refurbished body from Olympus goes for $759, so why would i buy used when they try to sell them for only few dollars less than refurbished. I mean theoretically a refurbished is almost like new correct? And I'm waiting on a good deal to pop up, hopefully wont be long now, hopefully it doesn't backfire like someone mentioned above.

14. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I got an Olympus refurb EM-5 to go with my existing EM-5. Works very well.

15. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Won't be selling mine anytime soon....Lurve it.

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm still looking to buy an E-M5. And I fully expect the prices will come down even further between now and the end of the year.

17. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I sold mine because I always intended on going full frame eventually. With the release of the Canon 6D/Nikon D600, full frame is finally within affordable grasp (particularly at refurbised/used prices). I do intend on buying a small camera back, but it's probably going to be in the form of x100 variant.

18. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Yup, I'm just getting a little antsy.

19. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I am waiting too but I am not very hopeful. Olpus pricing of the high end models is very sticky . Witness the still relatively high prices of the EP3 that is generations ago in sensors.

20. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    The E-P5 looks like a nice piece of gear and it's definitely a sexy kit.
    But the lack of integrated VF is a deal breaker for me. The VF-4 looks absolutely horrible on it and makes it bigger than the E-M5.
    Wi-Fi and 1/8000s are nice but I much prefer the style/handling of the E-M5.
    Gonna keep my silver E-M5 for another little while :)