Everyone forgot about the old pens?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hotahseh, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    So i came up on a Ep2 and instantly fell in love with the M4/3 cameras and will be jumping on an OMD body soon may replace my FF Sony

But anyways...I was curious if this camera can produce some nice images in a studio when it came to using strobes...Sure enough...it did.

simple one light flash to test out what results can come from this little camera. https://flic.kr/p/oxV8vd

And on another note i really like using the 17mm 2.8. it may be a little slow but no complaints other than that haha used that lens to take this shot

Really impressed and will start to setup some shoots with this little cam and put it through it all :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Controlled lighting - the great equalizer!

• Like Like x 1
  3. alencr

alencr New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2014
    Croatia, Zagreb
    I'm looking to buy an older PEN camera next month, when I will have the money for it.
    It will probably have to be the E-P1 or similar. I only want a couple of dials, a mode dial and one or two for manual shooting. :)

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    There is nothing wrong with the older pens, but compared to the newer 16mp models, they really fall short, especially on dynamic range, there is about a 2EV difference. One thing I really like as well is the touch shutter. I thought it was a gimmick at first but with super fast focus, it works amazingly well.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have an EP3 and happy with it. Also ownes EP2 and was very pleased.

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    In my humble view, the older 12 MP mu43 sensor cameras all produce similar IQ. The differences are mostly AF speed and control layout. Some folks are very particular about ergonomics and handling, others aren't, and most are in between. I'm still a big fan of the original E-P1 with the 17 2.8.

7. alencr

alencr New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2014
    Croatia, Zagreb
    I don't see too much differences between those first models, only in ergonomics and some added or removed features.

8. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    Yea crazy how you can really let a camera shine...when it had manual control...and some good glass xD

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Really true what you say.

10. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    I still like the E-PL1 that was my first Olympus Pen, but I must admit the upgrade to a P3 was what totally made M43 work for me. The E-PL1 is a good camera but AF is a bit slow, and the noise after 800 iso makes it less usable than the P3. I actually don't want anything newer than the P3 though. I am not impressed at all with the latest model and would not want one.

11. alencr

alencr New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2014
    Croatia, Zagreb
    Last camera I had was the E-410 and it decided to crap out on me.
    I will really enjoy a new camera and if it is better than my last one, I'm the happiest guy in the world. :)

12. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    I'm still happy with my E-P2, so satisfied that I bought another one, almost as new for a bargain. So now I'm twice as happy. The image quality of the newer sensors might be better but for my kind of photography not noticeable. Someday I will buy a newer one, some day . . , but no hurry.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    While the older 12mp micro four-thirds sensors don't have as much DR as the newer 16mp chips, and autofocus is slower on those older cameras, many mu43 users prefer the older sensors for their color - especially on Oly bodies.

14. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I sold my E-P3, 14-42 & 40-150 today to Unique Photo. Camera serve me well for almost 3 years.
    There's nothing wrong with the older 12 megapixel sensors.

15. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Still use the E-P1's every now and then ... all with manual lenses. My kids mostly abuse/use them. Them E-P1 can sure take a beating!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    I can't seem to to find an ep2 image thread? Was hoping to share photos I'll be taking with off camera flash.

17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    My EP3 with its Garitz leather half case is really sexy....

18. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Still kicking it with my ep2... But I don't kid myself... The sony sensor was a major step up ISO wise and cleaner more resolved images in real world use plus the fast focus enhancement. I don't see a single reason with the low cost of the epm2 now for anyone to get a the old sensor pens. Got myself the 20mm and now I see the sensor being the limiting factor in iq for me in everyday use.

I'll treat myself to anew PEN around Xmas but really wish olympus would give better video across the board. Shot some with the ep2 and it's dreadful for video. Wish it was clear what the ep6 will be.. Cause the ep5 is soooo close to perfect for me. Too bad not weather proof. Haven't done the ep5 simply because of the piss poor video.. If they gave a better codec and 24p etc.. I'd have done it already.

I was tinkering with wanting a Quattro Sigma but wow what a major let down.. Much rather a DPx or DPm used...

I still think the EP2 is still the best looking PEN they made.

19. Hotahseh

Hotahseh Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Miami
    JC
    Yes the camera is gorgeous. And I don't use the video much so it will serve it's purpose fine for those random moments.

I was thinking if getting a case for the ep2 but like showing it off barebones haha

20. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I use my E-P1 regularly. My favourite setup is E-P1 with VF-1 optical view finder and Oly 17mm 1.8 set to hyperfocal.