Everyday pocket cameras?

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
I have a tiny Fuji XQ2, it shoots RAW, has a fast f1,8 zoom lens, and is a genuine shirt pocket fit. and as we are posting examples here are two I made earlier.
DSCF1493.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF1476.jpg

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Your basic answer for a small pocket carry-everywhere camera is the Ricoh GR series... but it will ruin you for everything else with its image quality and handling. The older models are fairly cheap - the GR Digital series with small sensors can be had very cheaply second hand, and I have run across quite a few folks online who still use one.

Real Name
Jim R
I have an old GF2 and 12-32 lens that I use on occasion as my point and shoot. It's small and light and not worth much anymore so other than selling it for nothing, I use it occasionally for that purpose.
That's my wife's primary setup!
For me it's a gx1 with 14 or 30 prime, occasionally the 12-60 when a bit of tele sounds like a good idea.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have an old GF2 and 12-32 lens that I use on occasion as my point and shoot. It's small and light and not worth much anymore so other than selling it for nothing, I use it occasionally for that purpose.
Bigger than a P&S, I use an EM10 + 14-43EZ.
I don't really care for the EZ, but makes for a small/compact kit, though not as small as the P&S.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've gone full circle on this. I upgraded to M43 from P&S. I loved the IQ improvements but sometimes missed the convenience of a compact. I thought an EPM1 and P14mm was the way to go, but I didn't gel with the EMP1 and found the fixed 14mm too limiting. I then bought an RX100 mk1 which, whilst it had it's share of compromises, could produce a decent image from a small, pocket-able form. I used the RX100 for over 4 years, but during that time 3 things happened; My kids grew up, mobile phone cameras evolved and I bought a GX80 & 12-32. I no longer have to accompany my kids at events or activities, and when I do join in, my phone camera is now generally good enough. In fact, often it's even better than my RX100 was.

For a while, I was considering upgrading my RX100 to a newer model, but then I realised that everything I was looking for in a newer premium compact, I already have in the GX80. Instead of spending around around £1k on a new camera, I spent £10 on a small case that will take the GX80 and 12-32, my current premium compact.

I do also have a TG-5, but I'm not sold its IQ. I reserve that for underwater and adverse weather.

Last edited:

Teljam

Mu-43 Regular
I’ve just ordered the Olympus TG-6 will use it whilst trekking and on some holidays I think.

wanderer

Mu-43 Rookie
Do any of you have a camera that is shorter, slimmer, and lighter than your typical mFT camera that you bought for taking anywhere and everywhere?
I have an RX100 m3. It’s my travel camera and it’s fantastic.

However, for around town, anywhere and everywhere it would not be my choice. It’s a ton of “tech” crammed into a tiny, fiddly package. For travel, I’m willing to compromise for the sake of small and light. It hangs on a shoulder strap, remains on (or sleep), evf out and generally the only thing I change for hours is the aperture and FL.

For an everyday carry, I want ease of use, big buttons and simplicity. Not having to deal with pulling it out of whatever dust and lint free environment it’s in, a long press on a microscopic recessed on/off button then having to wait for the lens to move into position. You want to use the evf? That’s another slide button, then grab the back side of the evf and pull into position. Assuming your settings are appropriate for the shot, you can now capture a moment that’s no longer there.

Smart phones and crops or difficult lighting don’t work. Even the real expensive ones.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom