'Ever Used A Gradiated ND Filter? - If Not, Then Check This Out'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Awesome !!! ....thanks RT.

Btw, for shots like this going mono/b+w is a great idea, really accentuates the aspects of the image that you want to really come through, also, given the often strong color cast incurred via long exposure shots makes things in PP much easier to deal with.
  2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Great read...

LOVE that location. Here's a recent image shot with my little OM-D & Pany 20...

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for sharing, RT!

That site is my "go-to" site for refreshment on photography tips for things I don't do frequently, such as capturing lightning, etc...
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    LoL I've got one gradiated ND filter - just have to remember that I have it....:biggrin:
  5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Nice article, thanks for sharing.

I'm really into the idea of using nd/gnd filters now for landscapes and skylines. All I have so far is a Cokin P 2-stop grad and another straight 2 stop ND. I can't say I'm really that fond of using the Cokin filters so far though. I already have some light surface scratches (away from the visible part on my lenses) on my grad. Harder to handle than screw-in filters and harder to pack in my bag.

I found this article pretty interesting also.

"The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | Redbubble

It goes more into depth about using Neutral Density and Graduated N.D. filters. What I'm curious about is the ones using a Hoya 400x (9 stop) and the Lee GND filters? Are they screwing in the Hoya and then using a filter holder for the Lee? Seems a bit wonky to me but the results are fantastic.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Thanks for the link, Panther, that's an awesome photograph and a great demo of ND grad technique. The only small adjustment I'd make to your thread title is that it's well worth a visit to the link even if you are familiar with grad filters! :smile:
    • Like Like x 1