Ever see Hurlbut's reviews?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Speedliner, May 29, 2015.

1. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I was just watching these as in thinking of adding a fast wide lens. Thought these were simple and very well done. My favorite part is near the end where he puts a few similar lenses side by side.

I was all set to go Olympus, but I have to admit that the Pany 15 and 25 look very nice. Of the three - Oly, Voigtlander, Pany, I though Pany were great.

I was surprised that the Olies look a little muddy, for lack of a better word, in comparison. Do you think that may be due to the video only comparison and not indicative of stills?

Of course no one else may agree with my opinion. I'll have to watch again, but I liked this format of test. I wish all provided this kind of controlled, identical side-by-side.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It looks like they're graded differently. And the white balance is different. The Oly is warmer and flatter, with less contrast and no deep blacks the way the others have. Microcontrast is still decent, though.

It also looks like wide-open either the Panasonic and Voigtlander are way soft, or even f1.4 is too little DoF for that scene. Which is a distinct possibility. I've never understood why people feel to need to shoot with lenses that don't even allow an entire human to be in focus...

3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    My take on it is... (with the assumption that WB was manually set and is correct).

- The Olympus has a warmer color balance, followed by the the Voigtlander being cooler and the Panasonic as having the coolest color balance. This is evident not only by the model's skin tone and t-shirt color, but also the color of the back wall as well. My guess is that the Olympus is displaying the truest color on the back wall. Why? The framed pictures in the back are obviously B&W prints and it shows, whereas on the Panasonic, they look bluish like a cyanotype. Even the wall itself is much too blue.
    - The Olympus has the least amount of contrast while the Panasonic almost seems to have too much. Look at the bottom of the model's hair where half of it is blackened to the point of losing any type of detail in her hair. Again, the Voigtlander is somewhere to the right of middle-ground.
    - Look at the f5.6 comparison, and at the red light in the background. The Panasonic has blown the red out completely, while the Olympus holds the red and the Voigtlander is somewhere in the middle again.
    - Also, FWIW, IMO, the person who shot this didn't have true focus on the model in the Olympus shot. Compare the f5.6 shots of all three and take a look at the red light stand. Does it seem that the stand and wires in the Olympus shot is sharper than the others?

With all that said, there's no clearcut winner as everyone sees things differently and everyone has their preferences for rendering. It's all highly subjective. However, for me, the Voigtlander and Panasonic are more similar than different but IMO, the Voigtlander is the better of the two lenses. The Olympus is more different than alike to the other two.

4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Hurlbut is a well-know cinematographer. There is a short setup video that shows the preparation. It looks like all settings, lighting, etc...are intended to be identical. I wonder though, why such a respected Pro would bother to shoot comparison videos for Olympus, Voigtlander and Panasonic 4/3 lenses. Same model, same clothes, set and lighting. Maybe he likes the GH4 and was looking for the best for his own use. there are Panasonic and Voigtlander specific tests posted as well, but only the Oly tests show all 3 OEMs side-by-side at the end.

Interesting comparisons. I was a bit surprised by the lack of contrast in the Oly lenses compared to the others.

5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    "With all that said, there's no clearcut winner as everyone sees things differently and everyone has their preferences for rendering. It's all highly subjective. However, for me, the Voigtlander and Panasonic are more similar than different but IMO, the Voigtlander is the better of the two lenses. The Olympus is more different than alike to the other two."

Agreed. My amateur eye immediately prefers the Pany at first. Then after looking for awhile, realize that the contrast is very high and that some detail seems lost. The voigtlander then looks the most balanced, but colors seem over saturated some, like the very blue background. After a while and several views, the Oly starts to "catch up. The model was clearly chosen for the subtle contrast in her coloring...right down to lipstick color. Makes me start to think that the Oly has it most right and is the best base for PP where contrast and saturation can be bumped up.

I'd love to see side-by-sides in stills from RAW.

In the end, all great lenses and so much more depends on the subject and the scenes, but I still find these comparisons interesting. In the 45mm comparison, he includes the Noctilux and that one does seems to stand out...it better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    When I shoot, I prefer to have a flatter profile for images and video. It keeps a better handle on the tonal range for me and I have more processing latitude in post, which is where I like to finish off the images to my liking.

The problem with any review is that very few people can be/are objective. They don't realize that they are not, but we all have preconceived notions and biases toward the things that we prefer. We need to (1) Be honest up front and make sure everyone knows that we are expressing our viewpoints (2) try our best to pull back, identify our biases and look at things from all angles.

With that being said, depending on a specific need, any one of those lenses could be a winner.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've got both the Oly and Pany 25s. For some reason I have always found the images I take with the Pany a bit too cool for my tastes though I look at the images taken with it that I see from other people and I usually don't feel that way. All of my other lenses are Olympus and I have always liked the colour balance I get from them. I got the Oly 25 when it was released because I really like the focal length and I was hoping that it would deliver a similar colour balance to my other Oly lenses. It did. I've barely used my Pany 25 since then.

I'll also say that I think my opinion here is highly personal and I would never recommend that anyone not get the Pany 25. I find myself really liking a lot of the images taken by others with the Pany and I've never thought it a bad lens, in fact I think it's a very good lens. It's just that it's never quite clicked with me whereas the Oly 25 does. I simply find the results I get from the Oly work for me in a way I never managed to get from the Pany. There's a lot of other photographers who have the opposite view and I happily admit that my preference here seems extremely personal. They're 2 very good lenses but they are different. I think the choice between them in large part comes down to personal taste.

8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Click-bait.

I'd never heard of the guy until the link was posted here. (Usual disclaimer about me not knowing who he is being more of a reflection on my own ignorance than his fame).

Usual story, post a comparison, preferably on a topic with a vociferous fan-base, an outcome that will generate discussion, wait for it to be linked, et voila = $$$

But then again I'm often told I should tone down my cynicism.

The great thing about m43 is there are lenses to suit everyone at a variety of price points that come with a variety of compromises. We live in good times.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    A lot of variance can come from how people post process their images. Olympus also has their warmer WB option set to on by default. That is one option that I turn off immediately when setting up a new Oly m43 camera.

There are just too many variables in the equation to be able to pinpoint.

10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Definitely something non-standardised about that test wrt colour, focus. Cannot assess the lenses that way.

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I liked the simple side-by-side comparison. That's really what I was commenting on, more so than the lenses.

This is video so it's all camera processed. He's a cinematographer, so not a surprise he's unknown to us.

I'd like to see tests that show results under identical conditions side by side. Many tests use standard shots just rarely side by side and rarely of a subject I can relate to. It's not all just about resolution and corners, sometimes it's just how scenes are rendered. In that respect I liked these clips.

I don't get the impression that Mr. H needs the pennies he gets from a few clicks.

12. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    My comment after watching the video is: "You're too lazy to put in some narration?" I do see that he has a link to his blog where he discusses it, but why can't he add it to the video instead of that stupid background music? I think the whole thing is bizarre. I much prefer Christopher Frost's YouTube lens review technique (although he just does Canon).