1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ever heard of the Mason Dixon Line?

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by slothead, Apr 24, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Well here is one of the markers. This one viewed from the Pennsylvania side (so it shows "Maryland"). If you've not heard of the Mason Dixon Line, it was a surveying project that was commissioned by the American Colonies to have a couple surveyors from England (Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon) come and mark a line along the 40th parallel between 1763 and 1767 that now denotes most of the border between the states of Pennsylvania and Maryland in the USA.

The vulture above it (best identified by its dihedrals) is an example of the rapid expansion of the vulture population in the USA brought on (IMHO) by the overabundance of white-tailed deer that are constantly being hit and killed on our highways (the deer create a wonderful food-source for the vultures).

This image taken with an E-PL5 and Oly 12-50 kit lens using f/22 and 1/640 second at 50mm and ISO3200 (just happened to be set there).

P4240091a3_zpsf263e3c1.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That marker has seen better days. Maybe that's what LL Cool J has in mind when he says "the Mason-Dixon needs some fixin'" in that horrific song.

Thanks for sharing, both the picture and the history lesson. :smile:

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Haha! I really don't think that is what LL Cool J was referring to (I think you know that), but it's an interesting analogy. :smile:

Thanks,

4. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

I like how it looks like an old photo from yester year. The coloring is just right.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Interesting to see that part of history! :smile:

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Hey porter! Hey porter!
    Would you tell me the time?
    How much longer will it be till we cross
    that Mason Dixon Line?
    At daylight would ya tell that engineer
    to slow it down?
    Or better still, just stop the train,
    Cause I wanna look around.

Hey porter! Hey porter!
    What time did ya say?
    How much longer will it be till I can
    see the light of day?
    When we hit Dixie will you tell that engineer
    to ring his bell?
    And ask everybody that ain't asleep
    to stand right up and yell.

7. oldnikkor

oldnikkor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC suburbs
    You know, I live fairly close to the Mason Dixon Line and have never sought out one of these markers. What's wrong with me? :) I will have to look for them now.

8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    We live a few miles from the Mason-Dixon line. It's nice to see someone else taking time to notice the markers. Thanks for sharing the photo.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Grew up just north of the line and I've seen the markers - great shot! :cool:

10. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    If you're interested in learning more about the line, I'd recommend reading the book Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon. It's a very interesting fictional account of the surveying of the line. Pretty funny in places. Check out the problems in getting the eastern terminus plotted out around Baltimore.

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Personally, I enjoyed the Mark Knopfler/James Taylor song (Sailing to Philadelphia) that "documents" the event.

12. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    :2thumbs: