1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ever forget how to read?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Fmrvette, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    O.K., inclement weather season is headed our way, which means little shooting for me. I hate being wet or cold or, even worse, wet AND cold. "Roughing it" to me is when room service closes before 2 a.m. :biggrin:

So I figure it's a good chance to catch up on photo processing. I still haven't learned LightRoom4 enough to be comfortable in it. Actually I haven't learned LightRoom3 enough to be comfortable with it, either and it's already obsolete. :wink:

So I need a book. So I look at two, Kelby's Adobe LightRoom 4 Book for Digital Photographers

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter): Scott Kelby: 9780321819581: Amazon.com: Books

And Victoria Bampton's LightRoom4 FAQ

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 - The Missing FAQ - Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users: Victoria Bampton: 9780956003072: Amazon.com: Books

Since I have Victoria's FAQ for LR3 and I need a good "start to finish" LightRoom manual, I decide to order Kelby's first.

Except that I apparently didn't. I've been waiting five days, got the shipping/tracking information from Amazon, and a box was delivered today, two days ahead of schedule.

With the Bampton book in it. Yep, I reviewed Kelby, I ordered Kelby, I tracked Kelby...and received Bampton. For a week I've been misreading the order confirmation/tracking information from Amazon.

:frown::frown::frown:

Not that I didn't want Victoria's book...it's just that Scott's is a better "start to finish" manual. Victoria's is a wonderful "How Do I...." manual.

As George Gobel used to say, "Criminetly!!!"

I really should learn to read before ordering any more books.

Regards,

Jim

*(Yes, I ordered Kelby's book today. And I double-read the confirming order email from Amazon).

• Like Like x 2
  2. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I ordered and received both books and then sold them. I find I learn much better with videos and "just fumbling around" with the software. I hope the books work for you.

3. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I have always been a fan of Scott Kelby, he has good information, and he delivers it with a stand up comedian's wit, which I like, I used his lightroom 4 book and it helped, but I'm a book worm and prefer written stuff which I can digest in my own time, then reference it later, ymmv.

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I have the Kelby book from the library. Helps me a lot "when" I read it. I mostly read this forum.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I found the Kelby book invaluable for learning LR 3. I originally tried LR 1.1, and just never did figure it out. But a few hours with the Kelby book and it just all made sense.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Kelby's book arrived - just in time for me not having time to work with it. One of my kids is home from the service for a couple of weeks so studying software is not gonna happen.

I did flip through it quickly, should be able to start on it next week...

Regards,

Jim

7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Don't forget to download the images so you can work along side him, I find that helps alot...

• Like Like x 1