Ever discover a new feature/setting on your old camera?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Have you ever discovered something about your camera that you have had for a long time, thought you mostly understood it, only to find some feature that somehow escaped you?

I decided to pull up the user manual for my E-M1.1 which I have used continuously since 2014. In a recently watched Rob Trek posted in a thread here about using the lever switch and I discovered a feature. So went to look at what else I didn't know. Most of these I didn't know because I never use them, but still good to know.

1. Red Eye reduction - normally fires when the exposure calls for it and you get the red eye reduction effect. I didn't know only P and A was dependent based on exposure needs. In S&M mode (heh heh) the flash will always fire.

2. There is a magnify function for AF? Small single point not good enough. Turn on "Zoom af" and go in even tighter to make you camera focus on what is picked on the screen even if it is smaller than your AF target.

3. When adjusting picture modes (natural, vivid, etc.), all of them allow adjusting contrast (top one in that menu). However, if I am reading the manual correctly, this setting only effects the graduation setting (last setting on this menu) if it is set to Normal.

4. The Rob Trek one. If the mode for the lever is set for mode5, the default mode is up is AF and down in MF. I have always used this because I used to have MF on a button that would get accidentally pushed when hanging by the strap. What I didn't realize, and manual alludes to (duh!), is MF is the default but you can change either position to any focus mode you want. Either position can be CF or AF+M or whatever you like.

Real Name
Danny
Phew, sure do. Very rarely do I ever go into the menu. Manual settings and manual focus just keeps me out of there most of the time.

Then when I do go in there on the odd occasion, I then remember why I don't go in there!! I always find stuff and say, heck what does that do, then like a big chicken I go out of it real quick. Should I push it, should I slide over and see what it does ................... no RUN !!

All the best and there is always something.

Danny.

Real Name
Richard
Thing I find frustrating is when you're scrambling about in the scrub and then go to take that best ever photo of that elusive beautiful bird and "how the whatever did that setting get input"
And the times you find a setting accidently and again no idea what you pressed but would be good to know

Edit. Well Danny beat me to it. Agree 100% :)

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I hate deep menus. I hate searching for something you know full-well is there and can't find it. If I do run across a feature that I think is cool, I try to use it, but then I forget about it.

Real Name
Danny
Thing I find frustrating is when you're scrambling about in the scrub and then go to take that best ever photo of that elusive beautiful bird and "how the whatever did that setting get input"
And the times you find a setting accidently and again no idea what you pressed but would be good to know

Edit. Well Danny beat me to it. Agree 100% :)

Oh heck yeah, I know that feeling so well. For me one of the most important things with a shot, is to go through and check out the EXIFs. Even on other peoples shots. I should actually play with the setting up of the memory buttons or whatever they call them. If only it didn't include going into the ...... menu nightmare on elm street deal.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I hate deep menus. I hate searching for something you know full-well is there and can't find it. If I do run across a feature that I think is cool, I try to use it, but then I forget about it.
I agree. This is one reason why My Menu is such a valuable feature to have (only available on the E-M1.3, I think). People usually think that it is for most-used items, and that is its primary use. But on my old Canon 60D and 80D, I would find things in the menu and save them to My Menu just to save them off in an easy-to-find place to try them out later. Wish more m43 cameras had this feature. Maybe in the future?

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
I agree. This is one reason why My Menu is such a valuable feature to have (only available on the E-M1.3, I think). People usually think that it is for most-used items, and that is its primary use. But on my old Canon 60D and 80D, I would find things in the menu and save them to My Menu just to save them off in an easy-to-find place to try them out later. Wish more m43 cameras had this feature. Maybe in the future?
G9 will do that as well, not sure about others. And this is a prime example of @PakkyT 's post. I had totally forgotten the camera will do this. I use a custom set, but never built up my menu. Thanks for starting the thread, I think I'll do that today.

And then promptly forget it's there!

If I had my druthers Panasonic's next release would be closer to a Pentax K-1000 than the G9. They could call it the G-1000. That would help them to continue with confusing naming conventions and resolve the fact they already marketed a G-10!

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
3. When adjusting picture modes (natural, vivid, etc.), all of them allow adjusting contrast (top one in that menu). However, if I am reading the manual correctly, this setting only effects the graduation setting (last setting on this menu) if it is set to Normal.

That doesn't sound quite right. You can test this live by changing those settings while looking at a scene. On my E-M1mk1 the picture mode, contrast/sat settings, and gradation settings were completely independent.

Although it's possible that the way the gradation settings provide local contrast adjustments to the photo, it could fight those settings a bit.

Anyway, for me it was on my OM-4. I had no idea you could gently turn the self-timer/indicator "disk" to mute the internal beeper... heheh...

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
G9 will do that as well, not sure about others. And this is a prime example of @PakkyT 's post. I had totally forgotten the camera will do this. I use a custom set, but never built up my menu. Thanks for starting the thread, I think I'll do that today.

And then promptly forget it's there!

If I had my druthers Panasonic's next release would be closer to a Pentax K-1000 than the G9. They could call it the G-1000. That would help them to continue with confusing naming conventions and resolve the fact they already marketed a G-10!
Yes, using custom sets is one way to get around the lack of MyMenu (or not using it). I think a good thing is to USE it for things you might do a lot (like formatting the cards); then you'll use it and remember its there.

As far as the naming, yeah, I'm starting to get used to the Pany naming nowadays, and long for htose incomprehensible naming "standards" they used to use. David Thorpe had a funny video on this.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Just looked, the GX9 has a My Menu feature as well.

Customs sets are different in that they'll set the camera to whatever you have in there, but I suppose you could use one just to keep basics in there. The problem is you'd have to re-save the custom setting every time you change something or the camera will revert to the original when it boots up or when you leave the custom and return. In my case I have one set up with what I need at the drag strip. Program w/exposure comp, certain AF settings, etc.. Really two different animals.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That doesn't sound quite right. On my E-M1mk1 the picture mode, contrast/sat settings, and gradation settings were completely independent.
Ya that is what I thought and yes in each picture mode you can set Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation, and Gradation independently. But in the manual at the bottom of that section describing those setting is states "Changes to contrast have no effect at settings other than [Normal].". There is no "Normal" profile and the "[Normal]" text only appears in that section of the manual in the Gradation menu options (Auto, Normal, High Key, Low Key) "Use [Normal] mode for general uses."

You can test this live by changing those settings while looking at a scene.
That's just crazy talk. :roflmao: That was one I thought was odd but also don't really care about so I didn't spend any time playing with it on the camera. I have no reason to set gradation to anything but [Normal] normally.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes.
Because there is soooo much that modern cameras can do, that I only use a small portion of that, to prevent brain overload.
The old brain is not like teenagers of today who take to this stuff like ducks to water.
The old 80/20 rule applies. 80% of the time, I use only 20% of the functionality.

I have yet to use video, I have not tried HDR, etc. etc.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom