1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ever a Metabones Nikon >> m43 with autofocus

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Witzgall, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Witzgall

Witzgall Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    Have the folks at Metabones ever spoken about the possibility of a Nikon to m43 adapter that supports autofocus? Is there something about how Nikon does things vs. Canon that makes this an impossibility?

Chris

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think the reason that they don't have it at present is because Nikon has been using mechanical aperture control, rather than magnetic control, until lately it released "E" lenses.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That does make it more complex, but it's far from impossible to add a motorized lever in the adapter to stop down the lens. I imagine if the Canon EF SpeedBooster w/AF sells well enough, somebody will consider doing the same for F mount.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Nikon make the Nikon 1 FT-1 adapter for using F mount lens with AF and aperture support. I don't see why it can't be cloned and modified for m43 mount. I think it's simply demographics. More Canon shooters and glass floating around that would make it a feasible investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The aperture shouldn't really matter, should it? That can be mechanically controlled by the user, but AF would happen using the electric contacts, built-in motors, and contrast detect algorithms on the sensor. The AF would need to be performed stopped down, but I don't think that's a major challenge since various preview modes on M4/3 already operate that way. Just slower AF, since there's less signal to work off.

Part of why it's may not exist could be that only Nikon's AF-S lenses have built in focus motors, and those are only a small subset of available Nikon lenses. High-end Nikon bodies all need to include gear motors in the body that can be used to drive older autofocus lenses. EF lenses, by comparison, have almost universal compatibility (not to mention greater popularity, as bikerhiker notes), so it made sense for Metabones to focus their efforts there.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd say Nikon has a more modern lens collection compared to Canon at this point and that almost every lens that matters has already been converted to include an AF-S motor. Not to mention Nikon has manufactured over 95 million lenses (compared to Canon's 110 million). I'm guessing the adapter makers are having a harder time reverse engineering the electronics in the F mount.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Or, I suppose, is just a matter of limited resources: they picked the first one (maybe the easier or the more promising economically) and worked on that. Then, maybe now, they are starting working on the next mount, etc. I imagine that the Metabone tech department comprises less then a dozen persons, you simply can work only on a few things at once.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    You may be right. At this point, I care as much about Nikon and Canon lenses as I do about M42 lenses. And medium format lenses are more relevant to me than any of them... :)