Event clip for download - best format to use?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by BillW, Apr 9, 2013.

1. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I'm testing the waters...
    For years, I have shot 1st Communion videos and up until last year, delivered the product on DVD. Unfortunately, interest in the DVD's has dropped in recent years with the onslaught of camera phones, iPads, etc.

This year, I'm am trying something new. I am looking into delivering a video clip of the children receiving 1st Communion by way of a download. My plan was to put the file on my website, and send a link by e-mail. The clip will be about 10-15 minutes in length.

I'm looking for suggestions as to the best format to use, and any other suggestions/advice you may have.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    MPEG-4, more specifically H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 or AVC (Sony's term for it). Most commonly used container for this format is .m4v or .mpg.

Honestly, a private YouTube or Vimeo link is probably better. You can embed it in any web page, or you can send link to people. If it is a private video, it won't show up via search or going to your YouTube/Vimeo landing page.

It also offloads the server bandwidth. The only problem is copyright, and how much faith you place in one of these web video sites.

Most of the web uses H.264 or WebM. WebM is not really gaining much traction though.