Etiquette on the carnival midway?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jonbrisbincreative, Aug 19, 2014.

1. jonbrisbincreative

jonbrisbincreative Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Curious if you street shooters have any guidance on the etiquette of taking street or environmental portraits of carnival workers, specifically in the midway? I ask because I'm good enough with people to try and get to know them if I feel like they're not threatened. But a midway is a different beast entirely since they're always trying to hock something. Am I obligated to play an expensive game for which I'll most certainly loose? :)

If I stop and take a shot of street musicians I try and throw some money in. Is this the same situation, though? Maybe give them my business card and tell them I can send them a portrait if they'll send me their (semi) permanent mailing address? I want to set a goal this year to make an environmental portrait of as many midway workers as I can but I don't want to spend over $100 easy for something I'll likely never recoup anything on.

This will also be a great test of the GX7's low-light/high ISO and autofocus capabilities. I'll really get to stretch them out.
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If it's a carnival, you should be free to shoot whatever you like, the participants are on public show. If you want one of the 'acts' to pose specially for you, then ask, explaining why. If they want money in return, just walk away, if you're not in it to make money yourself.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand

It's been decades since I shot carnival workers. I concluded that between attracting customers and encouring players to keep playing, the workers were performers. After a short conversation, some said sure, take my photo, then some shifted body language into their performer persona. On the last day of the fair I went back to those who didn't want their photos taken - then took photos while they told me not to.
    • Like Like x 1