1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Estate Sale Finds Today - Lenses and Filters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Droogie, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Just got back from an estate sale buying trip with my wife (she sells a lot on Ebay and Etsy). And low and behold there was camera gear at one of the sales. However I need a little feed back on how good the lenses and filters are.

To start I picked up a Pentax M 28mm 2.8 for $10 (with leather case). Then I picked up an Auto Sears MC 50mm 1.4 lens for $10 (also with leather case). As I was digging through some boxes I then found 3 Hoya filters in their cases - a Skylight 1B, and two more Hoyas (in cases) a +1 and a +2, all for $3. I figured I wouldn't lose much at $23 for everything. :smile:

Now the question is anyone have any experiences with these lenses? I believe the Sears was manufactured by Ricoh. Did I get a good price? Also when I used to shoot 35mm I'd never really used many filters. The Hoya +1 and +3 are obviously close up filters anyone ever use these on mFT glass?

I would love some feedback.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I was out today doing the same thing, but all I found was an overpriced OM-1 with a plain old 50mm 1.8 on it. :)

The Pentax is a good lens, and you got a great price on it. They tend to go for $40 - $60 on ebay depending on condition.

I'm not familiar with the Sears, but a 50mm 1.4 is a nice fast lens that works like a short telephoto on MFT. It's probably a good lens, but third party lenses don't fetch much on Ebay. Looks like some have sold for around $40, it would probably go for twice that if it had Pentax or Canon written on it. :)

3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I plan on keeping them though, especially the 28mm. I already use some other K mounts on my EPL2 so I have the adapter. Curious about the Sears - I'm anxious to compare it to my Minolta Rokkor X 50mm 1.4.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    It depends on their condition. Take an led flashlight into a darkish room. Shine the light at an almost 90 degree angle into the lens and look thru the other side. What do you see? Do it to both ends.

5. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    The glass on both seem very clean with a very minimum of dust

6. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Great! $23 for fun toys.

7. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    That's what I thought. I'm able to feed my GAS on a budget. By the way do you have any experience with the closeup filters?

8. Bockeroo

Bockeroo New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    I have one of those Auto Sears in screwmount and it's one of my favorite lenses. Looks dreamy wide open and ultra sharp stopped down. Probably wont have the contrast of the Rokkor but it has a color rendering I find quite pleasant. And you won't find many 1.4s for cheap, it was definitely a keeper for me.

9. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Why am I never so lucky to find this stuff...

For $23 keep and play for sure.