"Essential" accessories for the GF1?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ritualnet, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    I'm waiting on delivery of a GF1 and 20mm lens, and now I'm trying to work out what is essential to day-to-day use of the camera, without getting bogged down with endless bits that detract from it's use.

So far... I'm looking at cases. I was a bit iffy about half-cases, but I've seen some reasonably nice ones on Ebay, one even has the top part, which means I can forgo a proper camera bag, and just drop it in whatever bag I carry (and lessen the amount of carrying items... last time I went on holiday, I had a backpack, a side-bag for the camera, an attached bag to that, with another lens in... it was a nightmare!)

After cases, it all goes fuzzy. There's lots of "would be nice to have" items, but I'm not sure what should be classed as essential, so that's why I'm here... hoping for advice!

The things I was looking at, was a polarising filter and/or UV filter to protect the lens (46mm? does brand name matter?), some form of OVF (Helios or the Olympus one), some kind of strap (I've read the strap posts, and I'm still lost of what to look for, especially in the UK, I'd definitely need a sling style, but can't craft to save my life or I'd make one), even things like thumb-up grips that slot into the hot-shoe (and looks like an old winder!)

So... what is essential? What is going to sit in a bag/drawer for years on end?
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I think your good there, but if you plan on getting mf lenses get an evf.

typed on my phone, sorry.
  3. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Since you're in the UK, try Amazon UK for the leather case. They sell the official Panasonic one for just £9.99. It's a two part set where the half case fit via a tripod screw and the outer cover fits on by using poppers. I've got one and recomend it.
    Panasonic CGL1SE-K Snug Fit Case for Lumix GF1 with: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Amazon also do the sling JJC Quick Release Professional Shoulder Sling Strap: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I had the Helios view finder, I was not that fussed about it, but I find the EVF essential.
  4. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Thank you for the case suggestion, it came today. I was going for the Brown HK cases as they are more traditional but reading some reviews put me off. The panny case is great, nice fitting and decent quality too!

The strap got bad reviews, about how the clips can break easily etc, so I will leave that one, but again thank you for the suggestions. I was looking at The EVF but it is around the same price or more, than a G1 body used!
  5. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I allways have extra batteries with me.
    And pol filter is good if you want to use the 20mm at F1.7 in the sun.
    And the more you pay, the better quality you get :)