Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by DMLarson, Sep 9, 2015.

1. DMLarson

DMLarson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2014
    Dan
    This is a really big place with many great locations for photography. I have previously posted quite a few shots from various locations, especially slot canyons, within the monument. Here are a few from the last weekend.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 21
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Love Southern Utah. What's amazing to me is that colors in the pics are real. I had some folks ask me if I played with the colors to get that blue. You have to go there to believe it.

When I've gone to the slots, though, they've always been dry, lol. I heard they got wet, but have never seen it.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Love the photos, it just reinforces the idea that I need to get out more.

Regarding the conversation about slots not being wet, 21 people died the 2nd week of September in the southern Utah area (one was in the Arizona Strip) in flash floods, 7 were in a slot canyon in Zion. Water is not a force to be underestimated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Dan -Thanks for sharing you wonderful portfolio.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Thanks you Dan for your continuing series of stunning photos in the desert SW. I recently just retired and am planning on spending a lot of photographic time there in the next few years and you are helping with that aspiration! Along Highway 12 is one of the first places I want to go back to.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  6. mievil

mievil Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2013
    San Diego
    Itbis so hard to get good shots inside of the slots. I wish I could figure that part out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Nice photos. Thanks for sharing them. The Zebra slot can be unpleasant when it's full of water. I recall a very cold swim into it. But it's not always wet. I've also been there when it's bone dry. I think the best photo opportunities are in the upper part. You get to it by climbing up and around to the left of the mouth of the slot and dropping into it from the top. You can't get too far before you encounter the pouroff, but the view and usually the light are better looking down into the slot than they are looking up it from below. This was taken with a Nixon D40 before m43 existed, but I hope it's still OK to show it. DSC_7538_DxO_LR3.

• Like Like x 4
  8. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't recall it being difficult to get into the upper part of the slot. But it does start to drop off pretty quickly the farther you get into it, and the pouroff is just a short way down. I can't remember if it's possible to downclimb the pouroff, only that I didn't do it. I came back out the same way I went in. Actually the slickrock area above the zebra slot is pretty cool in its own right. It's covered in more "moki marbles" (concretions eroded out of the sandstone) than I've seen just about anywhere else in S. Utah.

• Like Like x 1