1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Erm.. Hello?

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by JaoQuinz, Jul 5, 2010.

1. JaoQuinz

JaoQuinz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2010
    Just joined the forum and I'm not sure what to do now.

I'm residing in Hong Kong and is a typical boys toys geek. Had a Canon 500D with the kit lens, 50mm f1.8, and 12-20mm. Gf loved it to bits as I mostly used it to take pretty pics of her. Broke up with gf and she took the entire camera bag. It's like an ugly divorce.

So I thought I needed a camera anyways so bought the GF1 with the 20mmm after the price drop. Love it.

Something so portable and cute begs to be taken out. So I did. With the 2nd lens I've bought for the system. CV Nokton Classic 40mm f1.4.

Flickr: JaoQuinz's Photostream

I want an affordable moderately WA a different perspective of life in digital format. The 7-14mm is stupidly expensive without any competition in the market.

Now my next question is: 14-45mm kit lens next? With a WA conversion?

Oh, and hello from Hong Kong again.

• Like Like x 2
  2. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi! I am living in NZ but was originally from HK. How is the legacy lens scene in HK, I am under the delusion that I can go back and browse lens till I drop?

And sorry to hear about ur gf/camera bag, that kind of sucks.

P.S. nice photos..

3. CalebPhotographer

CalebPhotographer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Florida
    I would break her door down and take that camera back. No way would I let anyone take my camera.

By the way, I really like P1020371 and P1020367.

4. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    The GF1 is the ideal replacement for your erstwhile GF, congratulations! The next upgrade to GF2 will be much less costly/painful I'm sure.

Enjoy!

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Welcome to the forum - good to put the pain behind you, and look forward to a fresh start with your new camera.

Cheers

Brian

6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Sounds like your ex-girlfriend.....you don't happen to have her number, do you...... :rofl:

Sorry to welcome you to the forum with a bad attempt at a joke! As for what to do now you're here, well you can:-

Display your work in the gallery

Post pictures for critique

Join the Straight Talk Image Discussion Group

Keep up to date with latest news, rumours, and general advice

Join in the friendly banter (and bad jokes!)

Provide critique to others who seek it

Visit the gallery for stunning examples of pictures taken on :43:

Look back through past threads for interesting news and gems of advice

Start your own PAD (Picture A Day) blog

Really, you can happily spend whole days and half your life here if you wish! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. JaoQuinz

JaoQuinz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2010
    Hi guys,

Wow that was quick haha. Thanks for the welcome.

hmpws: The legacy lens scene ain't that big here, as people here aren't very fond of heritage in the general sense haha. The only place you would want to browse till you drop is a chain of shops called tin cheung. They carry almost everything leica and cv and old school. Their prices online are usually higher than walk-in prices. And they speak perfect English. There are also some second hand shops around tst selling old lenses, inside the champagne courts. The rest are mostly selling the latest and greatest.

As for the gf thing, haha I'm sure you guys all have the best intentions. But I'm actually sorta glad she took the DSLR. Gives me a reason to try the m4/3rds scene which I had been putting off, because there was no reason to get one before. She likes photography as well, and we're still friends. Just that she now has to lug around 2kg of equipment and i'm happy with my 600gms around my neck.

Caleb: good taste. I think the bokeh on the nokton 40mm is amazing. Some images look nicer intentionally OOF.

Once again, thanks for the nice welcome. I'm new in this street photography thingy, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

8. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome.

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Welcome JaoQuinz and thanks for your introduction - and your Flickr link, too. If you want to, you might want to include your Flickr link in your "signature" line via the User CP.

Glad to have you here.:smile:

10. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Can you let me know in more detail (or link)? I can read chinese fine, so I would like to know more. Never know when I can suddenly jump on a plane back to HK for a little!

Thanks

11. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Welcome! Great pics.

12. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
  13. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hello and welcome here !

14. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

hey JaoQuinz,
    sounds like you lost your G1 and G string in one foul swoop. Hope you find a lovely new lady with good cameras in tow
    Cheers
    DUD

15. JaoQuinz

JaoQuinz Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2010
    Haha it was a 500D + various lenses. Thanks for the encouragement.