Ergonomics GX7 vs E-M10

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by manju69, Apr 30, 2014.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Hi Guys

I am about to purchase one of these two cameras. In all other regards I think either will do what I want, but I am not sure about how they feel in the hand. I do not have a camera store nearby to try them. Some reviews on the E-M10 say the controls are cramped? I am not sure about adding a grip because of the extra bulk and expense. I have previously used a E-PL1 and E-PL3 and a NEX and i got on with all of them ergonomically. How have you found them?

BTW - I think i have small hands!

I expect it's a matter of personal preference but I thought would ask.

Thanks in advance.
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think you really need to handle them yourself TBH. Can you find a camera store?

I own neither, but I've played with both. The E-M10 is really nice handling IMHO. It's like the E-M5, which I own, but with the fiddly back button (fn2 and playback) problem fixed. The GX7 is a somewhat different beast. I personally didn't like the build "feel" of the camera - especially the plasticy grip. However, the ergonomics seemed OK, although I found the EVF was a little "tunnel like" in that the image seems to be projected some distance away. However, I'm sure I'd get used to it - it's just different from the Oly.
  3. JHM

JHM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2014
    Amsterdam area
    In the end it's personal what suits you. No doubt I would pick the Olympus for it's superior IBIS. Have you considered the E-P5? I wanted an E-M10 and ended with a E-P5.
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its subjective, but my guess is that if you were fine with the EPL1 and 3 (both pretty small), you will likely be fine with the EM10. I prefer the GX7, but again, its subjective. You will likely be fine just buying for the features you like.
  5. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    going to be a parrot and say the same as the above posts.

in my hands, the GX7 grip is nicer but you must try out both.
  6. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    The E-M10 *is* a tiny bit cramped feeling but has a neat thumb grip on the back that compensates; it feels much better in my hands than the E-M5 did. If you have small hands then I'd imagine you'd be fine with it.

I have the GX7, which feels far superior to the E-M5 in my hands, but that's not what you are considering. ;)

You really ought to hold both in your hand, perhaps you can find a local camera club mtg that'll allow you some hands-on time, or maybe buy both from a company that will let you return the one you like the least?
  7. benti77

benti77 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 16, 2014
    I made my choice in favour of the olympus, because i find the em10 viewfinder more confortable shooting whith my left eye.
    The control dials are in my opinion well adjustable when shooting, but I have to say that when I use the viewfinder the internal jog fall near to my nose, but not enought to make it unusable.
  8. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Depends on your hands and preferences, those were both too small for me without the grip which only the em-5 offered.. Also depends on lens, the 35-100 is not too comfortable on the gx-7 IMO

YMMV of course ;-)

To the OP - You have to go into a shop and hold both and see what works for you! :thumbup:
  9. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    Finding a pc world superstore in /around london should be easy...i went into birstall yorkshire branch and after handling GX7 and e m10 i decided on em 10...was set on GX7 (had gx1 and loved it) but didnt like the bulbous feel or build quality.
    one mans meat another mans poison

10. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Thanks everyone. Hey ho, I think I just try them in a shop. Now deciding on which iBIS is better! Too much choice...
  11. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ohh sorry as for ibis there is no comparison the Panasonic works well but the Olympus is clearly better, probably simple down to more ibis experience?
  12. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    I recently added the grip to the E-M10. Changed my shooting experience completely. The camera is now ergonomically "WAY" better. It does add a little weight, but not that much. As for the cost, it was only $60.00 which is not that much considering it is solid metal and matches the camera oh so well.

I tried the GX7, EP5 and the E-M10 before I purchased. For me, it was more the dslr feel that steered me toward the E-M10. However, the GX7 sure is a beautiful camera though.
  13. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I know you made your choice, but I'd like to add on more element to consider. I think there is an advantage to use gear from the same company for a while: you have less thing to learn and more time spent knowing what you are doing. It's not only the effort spent learning something new, but the days/months you shoot with a weak "muscle memory" and conscious memory.

So if you do not have a compelling reason to change stick with olympus (as you did).