Ergonomics: EM-10 w/ Grip vs G6

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by ijm5012, Sep 23, 2014.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So I was wondering if anyone could chime in on the ergonomic differences between an EM-10 with the optional grip, and a Panasonic G6. I have two G6 bodies, and I really like the ergonomics of it, but sometimes I wish for better high ISO results, and stabilization of my Olympus 17/1.8 lens. I had the opportunity to handle an E-M5 at a camera store when I was visiting family in Columbus, and really felt that it needed a grip to improve the ergonomics. I've heard people say that adding the grip to the E-M10 makes a huge difference in terms of handling, but I'm wondering if it'll be enough to use with the lenses I have.

FWIW, the lenses I shoot with most are a Panasonic 12-35, 35-100, 100-300 zoom lenses and an Olympus 17mm 1.8 prime. The ergonomics of the G6 really make handling the "larger" zoom lenses easy, and I don't want to sacrifice ergonomics for small improvements in IQ. I would appreciate any insight from people who have handled both cameras, and could answer my question.

Thank you!

2. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    No G6 experience, but I added a small grip extension to my E-M5 with Sugru - it fits my fingers perfectly and made a big difference to handling the camera. It's been on about a year now and no signs of shifting. I was careful to leave a gap large enough I could grip comfortably with a larger lens (35-100/2.8) attached. It makes almost no difference to camera size but made it a lot more comfortable.
    Not sure what the native grip will look like if I ever remove it - but I'm not worried about that.

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    I have had a G6 in the past but now have an EM10 with the ECG1 Olympus grip
    The EM10 is superb and I would say is the body that as yet best lives up to the M43 ethos being compact, comfortable to use and offering range topping image quality and results
    The grip transforms the camera for use with larger lenses including my Panasonic 100 - 300mm which I used recently for two days at the Silverstone MotoGP without handling issues
    (photos attached to a thread elsewhere)
    The ergonomics of the combination of EM10 with the grip vs the compact size are for me unsurpassed within the Micro Four Thirds system
    The grip is substantial enough to provide very good purchase without increasing the size of the camera to a degree where storing in a bag becomes an issue - the combination remains a very compact solution
    It does not have additional shutter release and other buttons attached as per the HLD6 for the E-M5 which is for me a bonus as I found that set up overly cluttered - I much prefer to use the original shutter button on the EM10 - which is unhindered by the addition of the grip
    The addition of the grip enables you to carry the camera with a large lens fitted with one hand at one's side with your index,middle and fourth fingers cupped securely under the grip - the camera hanging under your hand without having to exert any effort with your fingers to maintain a safe grip - which means that carrying the combo all day does not become a chore (i use only a wrist strap for security)
    I keep my grip attached at all times regardless of lens size as handling is in any case improved over body only
    The grip is cleverly designed in two parts the grip is released in from the small screw in base in a second to allow for very quick battery changes - circa 5 seconds (and Sdcard changes SD card is in the battery comp on the EM10 compared to side mounted on EM5
    I do not think you would regret the change from G6 if you are looking for an improvement in low light response etc although the video facilities are better on the G6
    Recommended without hesitation or reservation other than the proviso that some seem to dislike the Olympus menus. I personally like the instant access to settings afforded by the SCP
    Perhaps keep a G6 and get an EM10 for the best of both worlds ?
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Rob,

Thank you for your thorough reply. I'm glad to get input from a user who has actually handled both cameras, and used them with larger lenses like the 100-300.

There are certain aspects of the E-M10 that intrigue me (better sensor performance in low light, and IBIS), however there are a number of features that are better on the G6 (fully articulating screen compared to tilt-only, larger EVF, faster burst speed with AF-C). I think I'll rent an E-M10 and a grip from a place like lensrentals, and see how I like it. My plan would be to sell one of the G6 bodies for the E-M10 if I like it enough. I guess time will tell.

5. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    IMO the g6 grip is better ergo wise. That being said the em10 grip is fantastic on the small body, but the body remains small unlike the g6. I do prefer the em10 grip over the em5 grip also if you have tried that. If your thinking of switching to em10 I think you will be very pleased with the camera, but it will not be anything like the g6.

6. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I played with an EM10 inshore and would not be keen on it to go with the Panasonic 14-140 but most of the smaller lenses would/should be good. I will in the next couple of wks buy a G6 or G5 for the bigger Panasonic zooms and an EM10 for other lenses thus getting the best of both worlds, though I am pondering selling the 14-140 as I have the 35-100 on pre order and I fin it a bit heavy compared to the rest. In your position I would look at getting the Olympus and having one of each.