1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Equinox Explorations: a communal daily picture thread

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by DeeJayK, Mar 19, 2015.

1. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Coming off a winter when I spent too much time sitting around and accumulating new gear, I feel like I need to make an effort to get out there and start shooting more. What better way to do that than to revive the tradition of the communal Mu-43 shot-a-day challenge (as seen here, here and here). I'd like to invite anyone here to join in with me. If you're interested, simply share your images in this thread.

The "rules", such as they are, are dead simple:
    1. Try to post a single shot (of ANY subject) taken each day during the challenge. If you miss a day (or a week), don't worry, no one is judging you. The idea here is to get folks out and making pictures, not to play lunchroom monitor.
    2. Since this is a :mu43: forum, images shot with :mu43: equipment are encouraged, but this is not strictly a requirement. If you happen to sneak the occasional iPhone, RX100, XT-1 or A7 image in there I doubt the earth will stop spinning on its axis.
    3. Images may be straight out of camera JPEGs or manipulated to your heart's content. Pushing yourself past your normal comfort levels is encouraged.
    4. Most importantly: HAVE FUN!
    Tomorrow's equinox (Friday, March 20) provides an apt jumping off point for this undertaking, but the images don't need to be based on a spring (or fall for those of you in the southern hemisphere) theme. Let's set May 1 as our end point for this challenge.

The other thing I'd love to encourage with this thread is for it to be a sort of informal image salon where participants can feel free to provide comments and critique on others images. If you would like to participate in that aspect of the experience, please note something like "c/c encouraged" in your posts so that others will feel free to comment on your images.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Day 1 (March 20)

Is this where golf tees come from?
    i-Th4rngg.

Just playing with my newly acquired Rokinon Fisheye. Still trying to get the hang of this little beast.

If anyone cares to join me in this little Daily Picture adventure, feel free to jump in.

• Like Like x 11
  3. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I am on the downhill side of a "Project 365." I just crossed day 300 and haven't missed a day yet, although not every day's photo has been brilliant. The hardest part is over--the dark, wet and gray days of winter. It's been a great experience for me. I've taken a lot more pictures, become more competent with my gear and (I think) improved my composition and processing. I'll try to check in with some pictures, although I've already got my regular routine of posting to Smugmug. I haven't published mine anywhere because some of my shots are of my teenage kids and I had to agree not to post them anywhere public to get their cooperation. :(

As soon as I saw your picture, I figured you had to be from the same part of the world as me. Here is my photo from day 262 a little over a month ago. It's a macro shot with my O60. According to a friend who is more informed about these things than me, the common name of these is "Dixie Cup Lichen" just in case you were wondering. They are strange and interesting little things.

Good luck and I'll be watching.

20150207-P1030113-L.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Probably won't make it every day, but I'll give it a go, starting with March 21

P3210004.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 10
  5. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I'll give it a go. March 21 - Scilla. GM1 & Sigma 60:

pink_scilla.

• Like Like x 7
  6. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    THIS!! Is a FANTASTIC idea. I am on board with this idea except,
    I didn't take a picture today. Tomorrow..........:th_salute:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The Raven
    E3174314-RavenBW-1300.

Barry

• Like Like x 10
  8. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    Saturday, March 21: Game Night

16888470492_17954a6524_b.

EM-5 and PL 25mm f1.4

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  9. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    • Like Like x 6
  10. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Today's entry (Sunday 22nd) - this tree is rapidly losing it's blossom, so this might be the last from this year. Prunus - I think it's a wild plum.

blossom_oly_60.

Oly 60 / GM1

• Like Like x 7
  11. Highlander

Highlander Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2011
    USA, Northeast Coast
    Richard Correale
    • Like Like x 15
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  13. Highlander

Highlander Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2011
    USA, Northeast Coast
    Richard Correale
    Thank you Amin

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  14. stuntman

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    wonderful! It seems where you live there is life. We in New England only have chairs that watch, as the Druids did , the last of they're 3 feet of table snow gradually melt into spring.....They worship and wait.....

full?d=1427056534.

Stuntman

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. stuntman

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Beautiful shot!

• Like Like x 1
  16. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

Great idea for a challenge! 3/20: A simple Hibiscus bloom with a lovely bit of backlight. p2058790-4.

• Like Like x 6
  17. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    • Like Like x 5
  18. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Sunset over Elk Lake. March 22 - Day 306 of my Project 365. GM1 with 12-32.

20150322-P1930062_tonemapped-X2.

From November through February, I became convinced that the ability to take a compelling picture of nothing in particular is a mark of a good photographer. I haven't mastered that skill, but I'm impressed with your photos the last two days. I would never have made it without my macro lens and cut flowers from the florist! I'm not sure my wife ever figured out why she got flowers more often than normal this past winter. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

3/22: Another natural moment last night...the Moon and Venus were beautifully aligned.

EM1 210mm f4 2sec w/tripod
    p638808075-4.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
  20. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It's great to see a bunch of you joining in on this thread! Welcome!

I had guests in from out of town this weekend, which kept me from posting. But it did give me the opportunity to play "tourist in my own town" while showing them around. In the process I captured some images of some local icons.

Day 2 (March 21)
    i-hFRnWC4.
    The Space Needle with a Chihuly Glass "tree". [E-PL1 w/ Oly 17/1.8]

Day 3 (March 22)
    i-X4MRvnV.
    At Pike Place Market. [E-PL1 w/ Olympus 17/1.8]

• Like Like x 10