1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPM2 vs. EPL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tympman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. tympman

tympman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Hi all. Looking for some advice. Want to pick up a reconditioned olympus body with kit lens on the olympus site today. Just for general photos of kids, vacations, etc. Not a big "street shooter" or anything. With discount, the EPM2 is about $270 and the EPL5 is $330. Is the tilt screen mode dial, and anything else I am missing worth the extra $60? Any other differences I am missing?

Anybody have a favorite color?

Thanks in advance.

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Replaceable grip. To me, the larger MCG2 grip on the E-PL5 makes a big difference in ergonomics.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I liked the EPM1, but the mode dial and tilt screen are worth 60 bucks to me.

4. tympman

tympman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Which color holds up better - silver or black?

5. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    I had a E-PM2 and upgraded to E-PL5. If you don't care about the tilt screen and mode dial, the latter simply feels more solid and more upscale. For that little more, I feel is an easy decision. You will appreciate the tilt and the dial. They make composition much easier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 mobile app

6. tympman

tympman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Is the body material actually different - ie more metal?

7. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Yep, E-pl5 has more metal. Color is a personal thing. To me the black lenses go nice only with black body.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 mobile app

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    If you have fat fingers, don't get the PM2. The grip leaves very little space for fingers before they get squeezed into the side of the lens mount. PM1 with a Franiec grip is superb!

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I also believe, and this may have something to do with the more robust metal chassis, that the IBIS of the E-PL5 works better than it does in the E-PM2

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have the E-pl5 and Ep-3 and use the E-pl5 almost all the time. It'a a great camera.

11. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I agree - I have an EPM2 and love it but for that little bit of difference in price, the tilt screen and Myset settings would be worth it.

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Having now used a camera with a tilt screen, I don't think I'd ever want one without. It's great for taking shots low down, at waist height and over the head. I'd strongly suggest the E-PL5 for the small amount of extra money.

13. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

I had the exact same problem/dilemma as you are facing, months ago - which of these very cool cameras to get? An E-PM2 or an E-PL5? I went back and forth and to be honest, there are a lot of compelling reasons why BOTH are great cameras - and why EACH is worth buying -

Bottom line benefit of the EPM2 for me is portability - it's easier to pocket with a pancake lens.

Paradoxically I thought it's biggest weakness was not having the top dial and a few extra buttons and the tilt screen - but ironically, having used an EPL5 - which I decide to buy - for several months, the top dial or lack thereof isn't a biggie.

I bought the EPL5 for both the tilting screen - which is way cool on the occasions I use it, not enough to make it the only factor but, hey, it's really nice having that abiity. And also the tiny molded grip which is rather small but makes/made the PL5 feel more comfortable/grippable to me. An extra button or two is nice.

But the real reason I bought the PL5 was subjective - it felt a little more solid to me.

Both are great cameras.

It's a really difficult decision to make.

Whichever you choose....you will have a fine photographic tool.

14. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i got an E-PM2 a few months ago, as samy's was out of the E-PL5 on sale day. i must admit, i'd have preferred the E-PL5 as i miss the mode dial and it's also easier to access mysets. that being said, it's not that much more trouble to change modes through the menu, but the E-PL5 is only a little bigger and that's the one i'd suggest.

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If the difference was always $60 then the e-pL5 would be the one to buy.
    I got a used e-pM2 simply because it was very cheap and the same kit new would've cost a lot more, with £100 difference between the two models.
    Mode dial (= permanent myset), flip LCD, changeable grip. All great features.

16. earthwhile

earthwhile New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2013
    One of the great reasons to shoot m43 is the ability to use adapted x_brand, all-manual lenses. I shoot nature video (GH3) with a MF Canon FD 500mm f4.5. Very sharp lens w/little CA, very close to a new Canon 500mm f4...I had both to compare for over a month and found little difference between them. Now I'd like to shoot superior stills w/

All the reasons to like one of these 2 cameras over the other seem to be mentioned here EXCEPT, the inability to engage a 10x focus-assist magniication mode on the EPM2. It's right there on the EPL5, the mag glass icon button, but I can find no such capability, button or menu, on the EPM2. This is a problem for those of us using MF-only lenses.

I called Olympus cust-service with this question and they claim a callback later today or tomorrow, but maybe they won't figure it out, either, but one of you will. This is a must-have feature for us legacy/vintage/x_brand lens users. Thanks.

17. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    The capability is there, you just don't get a dedicated magnification button on the E-PM2. You have to configure either the "fn" button, the "video record" button or 2 keys on the arrow pad to initiate the focus assist. (Go into Menu -> Setup -> Gear Menu -> B -> Button Function)

If you swap between native AF and legacy MF lenses, and don't want to dedicate one of the function buttons to trigger MF assist, you can save the configuration to a myset and enable it from the menu when needed.

~W

18. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I have the PM2. The flippy screen would be nice for me in this and only this situation: artistic shots when I have the camera a few inches off the ground and I'm knealing down trying to focus my MANUAL lenses without the screen flipping. Taking photos of kids you might not have this problem. Also, using these heavier lenses, I would like the option to buy a bigger grip on the PL5. The mode dial, however, is not necessary. It takes 1 second to change that in the menu.

If I had to do it all over again I might get the PL5, but it's not worth the upgrade. I like the flash, grip, and focus peaking of the Panasonic GM1, but again, not really worth the upgrade. When Olympus makes something new and smaller I'll probably get it, however.

I have never heard such a thing. You've tried both?

19. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Add me to the list of PM2 owners that should have gotten the PL5. I thought the PM2 would be much smaller, but it's not. The only real advantage is price.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Heh, I use the flippy VF-2 for that job.
    The TINY (exaggerating, of course) LCD screen on both the e-pM2 and e-pL5 is absolutely horrible for my eyes to manual focus.
    I have heard the screen on the e-P5 is rather good.