EPM2 or EPL6?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SSmith, Dec 14, 2016.

1. EPM2

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. EPL6

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. OM-D

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    I own an E-PL6 and an E-PM2. The PL6 doesn't seem to add anything over the PM2 except for size, for my narrow uses of both.

While I think the PM2 is a fine second body with token image stabilization, I would strongly recommend at least an E-M5 I as a primary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    I agree. There are lots of people who believe that you have to have tons of expensive gear to be considered professional. I believe that as long as you know what you're doing, you can make anything work. I try not to be one of those inflated photographers because I believe everyone should have quality images regardless of cost.

3. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    I take your suggestion into consideration. Thank you.

4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    :biggrin: @TNcasual@TNcasual, I know you were being helpful, but I understand @SSmith@SSmith's apprehension about steering this discussion of his gear toward a discussion of his technique. I've seen a few other gear threads go that way, with a well-meaning request for sample photos "so we can see what you're trying to do" devolve into, "Use your phone until you take some photography classes." I know you wouldn't go that way, but the door would be open for someone else.

• Sad Sad x 1
  5. MichaelR

MichaelR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2016
    Denver CO
    I've witnessed medical triage where the doctor was amazing but due to location his tools were unfortunately limited. Given a choice he never would have performed what he did in the circumstances he did. The tools don't make the professional, but only a fool would believe that they don't have an impact on the outcome.

I would offer that a professional can work in limited situations, but one of the things that makes him a professional is knowledge on how to limit his liabilities.

6. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Well thank you.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That is uncalled for. Stop being a d!ck.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Oh wow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TonyG

TonyG Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I have a EPM2 and a good prime makes a big difference. I've never shot a wedding or used an OMD but Ive taken plenty of photos in doors. As far as IQ the OMD has no advantage since it uses the same sensor. It does have much better IBIS which allows you to use lower shutter speeds hand held. Using a tripod makes the cameras the same as far as low light performance is concerned. The biggest improvement would be buying a f1.8 or faster prime or several of them.

10. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Someone else said this exact same thing!!!

11. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    I photographed weddings professionally for 5 years, typically 1-2 weddings each month during that period. I own an e-m5, e-pm2, 17 2.8, 25 1.8, 45 1.8 plus the two kit lenses 14-42 iir and 40-150r. I don't own any flash beyond the kit flash.

Honestly I would not photograph weddings with this gear professionally without flash due to the limited iso capabilities of these cameras. Another caution I would add is to always have two camera bodies. I once took a brand new Canon 5d2 to a wedding. It worked flawlessly during preceremony and ceremony then failed completely during the reception. Fortunately I had a 7d in my bag so I pulled it out and continued shooting. The bride never even knew anything was wrong.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    You could've scrolled by as well

13. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Which glad should I get?

14. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    If you haven't noticed, this forum has a strong sense of community and low tolerance for rude remarks / trolling / whatever this is.

Regarding your original question, the handling of the O-MD series will probably be more important than its IBIS, since stabilization can only do you so much good when you're photographing moving people. As others have suggested, a fast prime or zoom would probably be a good place to start, though a camera with better handling will also probably make things a lot easier.

When you shot your previous weddings, what focal lengths on your kit zoom did you find yourself using most? That'll help you answer the question of what primes you should start off with. Eg. if you shot mostly at the long end, a fast portrait lens might be a better starting place than something like the Oly 17, both of which would be great choices.

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Consider my comments a public service.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016

Well consider mine the same. Bye

17. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Well this group should have a low tolerance for nasty and rude attitudes as well.

18. Debbie.Cato

Debbie.Cato Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2016
    Which glad should you get?

19. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    I meant to say which glass as lens?

20. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    You burst into this forum with an oddly phrased set of questions... a scenario that seemed a little left field, an odd choice of cameras for your chosen objective.

People responded, including myself and other's who have a long history in this community, with responses aimed to find a little more about your levels of understanding and expectations.

Your initial responses seemed to show you as a bit thin skinned/defensive, a more than a little unsure about some of the basics of photography, and unwilling to share images, which is actually the best way to establish to the community where you are coming from.

As a community, we have a wide range of experience, a stupidly deep at times level of knowledge, and often a quirky sense of humour.

We are very happy to help, but we probably will not respond to our best when the questions are vague and our responses are derided.

K

• Agree Agree x 9