EPM2 or EPL6?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SSmith, Dec 14, 2016.

1. EPM2

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. EPL6

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. OM-D

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  1. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Okay I recently purchased a epm2 online because I read it was similar to my epl6. However, I need to get the epl6 and the Zuiko 14-42 II lens repaired and Olympus is charging $140 and $80 before taxes respectively. Should I get them repaired or just save money and buy a different camera? I want to go into wedding photography, and I've been told that he epm2 is similar to the OMD cameras. I'm sure this has been a thread before, but I'm new to it all. Help me.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-PM2 is not like an OM-D. Similar image quality maybe (to the 16 MP ones), but usability and performance are not. It's a compact with a single dial and not many buttons, the OM-Ds have viewfinders and multiple dials and buttons.

The newer E-PLs also have improved IBIS compared to the E-PM2, the one in that is ho-hum...

3. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    So, should I repair the epl6, or save for a OMD?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You should not repair that lens. It's not much more to buy another lens.

What is wrong with the EPL6?

Neither the EPL6 nor the EPM2 are viable for "going into wedding photography" if by that you mean being paid to take pictures at people's weddings. The handling is not right, the autofocus is not good enough, the high ISO is not good enough for many wedding situations, the lenses you need (which is not the kit lens) will be very big on either body.

If the only thing you need the camera for is paid wedding photography, then you need to completely re-adjust your thinking about how you are going to do that. Research some "equipment recommendations for wedding photography" on google.

The EPM2 and the EPL6 are very similar in that they are designed for light weight travel/vacation photography needs. The kit lens is a good lens, but really for outdoor/good lighting use.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wedding photography is hard. If you're new to all of this I'd advise against making decisions based on such goals just yet. As far as repair or getting an OM-D... depends on your local prices and whether you're able to buy used. I'll also suggest that the lens matters a lot (perhaps more than the body), but you might need to get more use before knowing what kind of improvement you need.

6. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Well I've already started weddings and the ones I've done are not as hard as everyone claims. I've done three weddings and my clients were happy with what I gave them. The colors were nice. The pictures were well lit and I captured great details. I used my 14-42 RII and captured nice wide shots and close ups. So all this "you need to re-evaluate" is nonsense to me. I'm sure that later on I'll upgrade my lens and consider other options, but the results have been wonderful and my clients were happy. Besides, if all the cameras have the same sensor capabilities, can you explain the differences and give me A VALID reason to buy a OM-D instead of bashing my camera?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    And I beg to differ on the "they're just vacation cameras" comment. I've seen smaller cameras blow larger cameras out of the water... I know a man who uses Sony mirrorless (they're lightweight) for weddings and his images are PHENOMENAL. Yes, I know the sensor is bigger, but they look very similar to me. If there is something I'm missing, inform me intelligently.

8. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    To answer your question, the epl6 turns on and turns right off. When I first purchased it, it did this, but after charging the battery for almost a week, the camera stayed on long enough to do the wedding. I had to do this three times (I had a may wedding, and two June weddings). I have one client booked, and will be booking another one next week based on the images from the epl6.

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Have you tried another battery ?

I assume you have another battery ! If you don't you should if you are doing paying work

K

10. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Yes I have 10 batteries and the camera still does it. Someone recently told me that it's a battery connection issue that is common with those cameras. He told me to wipe the connectors with rubbing alcohol and if that doesn't work, send it in to be repaired. By the way, your opinion is fine, but I'm intelligent enough to explore all troubleshooting options so that smug attitude isn't necessary

11. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    An OMD - such as an EM5 - will get you better IBIS, and viewfinder, and better external controls for not a lot of money. Image quality is very similar or identical to the PM2 and PL6, but the better usablility and IBIS is well worth the price.

I've shot weddings with an OMD and high end glass, and it is capable if you know the gear's limitations and how to work with or around them. Low light high ISO is really the only situation that m43 struggles with, and good use of flash or other lighting improves things considerably.

I've seen weddings shot on phones, compacts, entry level DSLRs, high end DSLR gear that would be overkill for warzone journalists, and everything inbetween. Some use flash or other lighting, others don't. It all works fine as long as it delivers images that the client is happy with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This is really for the OP, as I do not intend to get into an argument -- OP, research the feedback and recommendations from experienced wedding photographers.

As for the camera, I've been using m43 since 2009 -- I'm well versed in the Pens limitations and strengths. I've also used Oly EM, Panny, Sony, Nikon, Canon and Fuji. I don't shoot weddings, but I do shoot children's events (plays, sports, school fairs, etc.) for my kids' school for various publicity and year book uses, and I would not do that on the back of an EPL6 or EPM2, not because I can't get good results, but because I can get far better results from other equipment.And that's not a "once in a lifetime" event like a wedding.

(I have shot those events with a GX7 as a second camera, to carry the PL25/1.4, but it wasn't my primary shooter.)

edit -- just saw ahinesdesign recommendation for an EM series -- that's a much better fit for wedding shooting. I prefer the pens for my m43 camera, but an EM is a far more capable unit, in terms of response and handling. Also makes more sense (gripped) with a good flash head and a good lens.

13. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Thank you. I am considering a OM-D camera because of the increase in quality. Do you think a higher quality lens would improve the epl6 or should I just rent a OM-D until I can buy one? Have you ever rented a camera or lens?

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    No one said that. What I did say was they were "designed" for lightweight/vacation, and I would stick by that comment. Doesn't mean they can't be used for different things, but the further you get away from the design point, the more trade-offs you are forced into.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Maybe some examples of your work with the current kit would help others offer suggestions for improvements in kit and/or technique.

16. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    I haven't had an issue, that's all I'm saying.

17. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    Show me some of yours first.

18. JanW

JanW Mu-43 Regular

I understand from your initial post that you have a working e-pm2 and an e-pl6 that needs repair.
    The main difference is the tilting screen so it is easy for you to decide which one you prefer if you want to buy one of these.
    But if you are really getting into wedding photography you will certainly buy one of the faster primes soon.
    To control depth of field you have to adjust your aperture setting frequently and this is very awkward on the pm2 and pl6.
    (I had a Panasonic GF6 which is similar to the pl6).
    On the OM-D I have now I have the front dial for aperture control and the rear dial for exposure compensation.
    Its a difference of night and day in handling.

So if until recently you only had one body I would keep using the pm2 and save for an OM-D.
    Buy another 14-42 second hand (or get it repaired for the same price) but don't buy the older version because of slow AF.

19. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Whoa!

You're new here. I get that. Maybe take some time and look through the showcase threads and other threads with examples. I have images all over, but I know that I am nowhere close to being in the class of some forum members. There is a great deal to be learned from others. Show them the respect they deserve.

Edit: I suggest taking a look at the lighting tutorials by @MichaelSewell@MichaelSewell. Those are some of the best examples of what the right kit and techniques offer.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. SSmith

SSmith Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2016
    I was considering getting a different lens. I did order a epl1 from eBay only because it came with a 14-21 ED lens and a 40-150 lens. I see potential in the 40-150 but I see the slight struggle of the 14-42 Ed lens. I was wondering about the pro lens or getting the 40-150 II lens. Do you think that if I get a better lens, there will be some improvement of he epm2? I will need to use the epm2 until I get a OM-D camera.