EPM2/EPL5 issues on P20???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Nov 25, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    The OMD showed some issues with the P20. Do either of the EPM2 or EPL5 show the same "banding" issues?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I would also be interested in learning E-PL5/E-PM2 users' experiences with the 20mm.

I seem to remember reading here and elsewhere that there was banding on the new PENs, but no images and no indication if it was as the same level as the OM-D.

I also saw a post here from someone with a G3 saying that they saw banding with the 20/1.7. It makes me wonder if there is banding with the 20/1.7 at high ISO on all m4/3 bodies to varying levels... maybe just more banding with the OM-D and the 5-axis, or maybe people are going into high ISO ranges more often than when they were on older generation sensors?
  3. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Yes, I have an EPL5 and it shows banding with my 20mm Panasonic. I've only noticed it at ISO6400+, and that's only if you're looking for it.

I have auto ISO set to 5000 and don't see any trace of the banding normally.

I use Lightroom 4.3 to process the raw files with a 23" monitor btw, just for context on where I am looking for the banding.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Hmmmm... that ISO is far higher than I'd ever use, so maybe not an issue for me.
  5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    If it's hard to find in the E-PL5 and E-PM2, would the theory of E-M5's stabilization system interfering with the non-shielded P20 then be the most likely explanation of the phenomenon?
  6. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    If you haven't tried an EPL5 or OMD you might be surprised, I am finding high ISO's like 6400 very usable. True with a fast prime though less likely to get up towards these levels.

This is coming from Canon's 18mp sensor - 7D - same as on the EOS-M. Where ISO6400 was usable if you didn't have to up the exposure or shadow later, but I wouldn't have wanted auto ISO any higher than 3200.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Are you sure it's the lens? I can get banding to trigger at 6400 on the E-M5 using pretty much any lens.
  8. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
  9. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
  10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I just took a series of low light shots with the original PL 20 mm lens on the E-P5 over the full range of ISO values with and without IBIS and didn't see any banding. Time will tell if it ever comes up, but for now it does not seem to be an issue with this body.

One thing this test did convince me of was that the 5-axis IBIS really makes a big difference.
  11. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    -3 EV: Underexposure will bring out banding sooner or later on any camera/sensor. The problem was when even properly exposed high iso's showed banding with the P20 and OM-D from 3200 upward.
  12. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Get the Oly 17 1.8 - it's a great lens and I've never seen banding on my Em5 or epm2