EPM2 ($399) vs GX1 ($275) - Which is the better deal?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by BigMike, Apr 14, 2013.

1. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    With the current rebate on the EPM2 body which results in the body only for $399, is this a better overall deal than the GX1 for $275?

Will the EPM2 body hold its value more than the ageing GX1?

Cheers

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    From what I've seen very few bodies hold value for any length of time. Lenses hold value much better. That being said, I'm partial to Olympus because I really value the IBIS. It is, however, ultimately a matter of personal preference. :cool:

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think these will hold their value about the same and if anything would give the GX1 the edge in terms of holding value, because it's closer to the bottom price wise.

As for which is a better deal, I think the GX1 is overall more premium in feel, build, and controls. That said I chose the E-PM2 for its sensor performance. Still I think the GX1 is the better "deal" at those prices.

4. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks for the input, I shoot with the EPM1 a while back and it was not a bad little camera as my first experience with m4/3. Anyway, I looking to get back into m4/3 again after missing the fast AF, was tempted by the low price of the GX1, but the EPM2 has the OMD sensor which is awesome. But I agree, lenses hold value more than bodies, will continue to weigh it up...

5. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    If it's your first m43 camera, get the E-PM2 for its sensor. (I did).

If it's your second m43 body, and you already have an OM-D or E-PM2/PL5, then get the GX1 for its nice handling, controls, etc.

I missed the good handling so I got a G5 (similar sensor to GX1) and at these prices, both covers all bases ;)

6. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    It will be my first and only body (don't plan to have more than one body as its just to supplement by Pentax setup), the EPM2 body is looking good at the moment, I did enjoy the OOC jpeg colours of the EPM1 and I just can't seem to ignore the OMD sensor in it.

7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    E-PM2 is a better sensor. GX1 is a better camera.

8. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    At those prices and what each camera offers, it's a toss-up. You'll win with either one, especially if it's your first dive into m4/3rds. I'd get the GX1 and put the cost in savings towards a lens, say a 14mm/2.5 pancake for barely much more. :smile:

9. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    This is a hard choice, and I would recommend going and getting a feel for each. The other question to ask yourself is how much do you want to control as a photographer. The added buttons and dial on the GX1 definitely make it more user friendly.

I went with the GX1 as a second body after some debating between the two you are looking at. I was able to pick up a new body for 199 though (damaged box inspected by panasonic) off amazon from Roberts reseller. They are now up at 229 though (its listed as like new description).

10. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Yeah, I agree with everyone, I won't go wrong with either, I had a quick hold of the GX1 and really liked it, haven't had a try of the EPM2 (but I did use the EPM1 previously) so I'm familiar with its handling.

11. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    If you're currently shooting a recent Pentax, go for the GX1. The sensor performance (E-PM2 to GX1) is very close (most people assumed the E-M5 had the Panasonix 16mp sensor initially), and if you're going to need the extra ISO capability you're better probably off with your DSLR anyway. The improved handling/control of the GX1 and reduced price will pay dividends. You'll need to start saving up for the E-M6 or GH4 you'll be buying next year anyway ;)

12. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    What he said. But I do not agree with those who say the OM-D sensor is close to that of the 16mp Panasonics. I have both, and there is a significant difference, especially when light falls and you are left to scavenge at ISO 3200-6400. Although, the GX1/G5 really is decent below ISO2000.

13. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    I'll use the Pentax when I need to shoot lowlight, I plan to use the Panny/Oly as more of a general take eveywhere camera, so mostly will be shooting in decent/good light.

14. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    One more reason to get the GX1, it performs better with the Panasonic 20mm pancake, and that's a perfect, coat-pocket-able combo.

The PEN mini 2 is great, but the GX1 has nearly the same sensor performance at low ISOs and compares against a full-on PEN in build quality and controls.

15. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    E-PM2 is a slightly better sensor, GX1 has much better handling.

16. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    In this case, I'll echo all the other recommendations for the GX1. Good outdoors light erases most of the advantages of the EPM2's newer Sony sensor (except for dynamic range to avoid blown highlights).

Btw, is your name a reference to the "Chuck" character?

17. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have the GX-1, E-PL5 & OM-D. If you primarily shoot JPG's and do not want to spend time tweaking images, get the Olympus. Even after adjusting the default AWB settings for the GX-1, so that the colors are accurate, the JPG's do not look as good as what comes out of the Olympus bodies. Also, if you check the DxO camera test of the two sensors, the Olympus has almost a 2 stop dynamic range advantage at ISO 200.

One thing to consider, that is in the GX-1's favor, is that it effectively has a larger LCD. The 3" Olympus is only when shooting in 16:9 aspect ratio. when shooting stills in 4:3, the actual image size is only about 2.5".

18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    What an outstanding predicament. :smile:

I'd probably go with the GX1 for now. Shoot it for a couple of months and when the PM2 drops to $299 sell it for a minimal "renting" fee and give the PM2 a try. Don't like the PM2 sell it for the "renting" fee and move back.

As long as you don't buy the flagships or within six months of release the rental fee theory pretty much holds true(often sooner). It's one of the perks of m43 that I love so much.

19. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Haha, that's smart thinking! I would love to try both really. I think you have a good strategy, selling is a bit of a pain, but no pain no gain.

b_rubenstein, I am a JPG shooter so having great OOC JPGs would be awesome, but still would like to see how bad or good the Panasonic JPGs are. They might be good enough given the handling of the GX1 is better than the EPM2.

mrjr, no reference to Chuck at all.

20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Panasonic jpegs have improved quite a bit since the early M43 days. Colors are different than Olympus, but still very pleasant to my eyes. I do think Olympus does have better metering abilities though. Besides that, I can easily shoot with both and equalize my output with either brand.