1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPM1 worth switching to from EPL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mbbinvt, May 12, 2012.

1. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    I'm wondering whether the epm1 is worth trying instead of the epl2? I'm a recent convert to 4/3s photography and am liking my epl2, but I'm tempted by the smaller size, lower weight of the epm1. My fear is that the epm1 keeps getting referred to as the step up for p&sers. I've been an slr/dslr guy since forever, so don't want a camera where everything is so dumbed down that it's hard to adjust the WB, ISO, +/- etc. quickly when needed, to say nothing about aperture and shutter speed.

From your experience, how easy is the epm1 to adjust settings on compared to the epl2?

And would I be crazy to want to keep both cameras? Are they different enough to justify having both, or is that getting a little too into gear for the sake of gear? I realize that last part is pretty subjective but am curious what folks have to say.

Thanks!

2. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    if you can afford 2 cameras, why not have 2? i use one as a walkabout camera and one as my "good" camera. and i might keep a small camera to carry all the time.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the E-PL2 and E-PM1 make a very good pair and are certainly different from each other. The E-PM1 is much smaller and will free up so much space in your small bags. The E-PL2 is beefier and gives you a very nice grip with a couple more custom buttons for quicker control.

Even if they were the same camera though, if you don't have a second body already I would be wondering why. As a commercial photographer shooting in high demand industries, I would be crazy not to have at least 3 bodies. Yes, I have even lost a Playboy contract because I busted my camera just before going out of town for a Sunday shoot when everything is closed... and this camera was already backup to another camera, which was second to my main camera. If I had just one more camera, I would still have that contract. ;)
    So even if you're not a professional photographer, I'm sure having just 2 bodies would only make sense. I couldn't imagine not having a second camera.

The E-PM1 is still very easy to adjust settings on. Basically, the control system of the E-PL2 gives you 1 dedicated magnifier button and 2 custom function buttons, whereas the E-PM1 gives you one custom function button. If you need the Magnifier button (like I do), that leaves you 2 custom buttons short. If you don't need the magnifier, that only leaves you 1 button short.

As an example, on my E-PL2 I use the Record button for Autofocus, and I have the Magnifier for manual lenses. I don't use these two buttons together, so on the Mini I share them by using Myset. One Myset is for legacy lenses, using the button as a Magnifier. The other Myset is for AF lenses, using the button for Autofocus. So it takes me that little bit longer to set up the camera for each lens I mount, but once I have the lens mounted and set it's just as easy to change my shooting settings on the E-M1 as on the E-PL2. On the E-PL2 though, I keep mostly the same settings no matter which lens I mount.

4. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks for replying. Really helpful information.

I should have mentioned that I use my nikon D7000 for my "good" camera when weight and space aren't an issue, especially for sports and low-light situations, but 4/3s cameras seem more handy in most other situations.

5. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Having just checked Amazon,I found a new E-PL1 for $149.00. You would be crazy to not jump on it for that price:eek:

EDIT Sorry, re-read your post and see you were lookin at the E-PM1 different camera... never mind :sorry:

6. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    No problem, but your comment makes we want to ask what the best place to get an epm1 is. I was thinking a refurbed one from cameta for $299, then sell the kit lens, so the body would cost me less than $200. Is that the best route to go?

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    One thing to consider: The flash on the E-PL2 is built in. On the E-PM1 you have to mount it in the hot shoe. That may or may not matter to you.