1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

epm1 with good lens, omd kit lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by weeowee, May 6, 2012.

1. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    hi, just like a lot of people i was thinking of buying my first m4/3 so that i can have a backup for my dslr. anyway,the type of photos i'll be doing will be snapshots of getogethers and also basketball games/sports/concerts where i won't be able to bring my dslr. what do you guys suggest? i dont really need it yet but i was thinking its better to get one now (i think i'll need it maybe around june/july) and get to know the cam rather than buy one when i need it already and then rush to get to know it.

1.epm1 with kit lens oly45mm to follow
    2.epm1 body with oly 45mm
    3.omd with kitlens (no other lenses to follow for a long time bec i'll be broke haha)
    4.omd body with oly45mm but this option will probably take me 3 more months to saveup for haha so with this option i'll be sticking with my dslr even during the times its a hassle to bring

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The OM-D + 45 or 12-50 kit will be ideal, though I am not really sure CDAF could provide you with great experience for low light, fast movement situation. You should give it a try before commit with m4/3. Or just test it with EPM-1 till you get the hang of it.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Kit #2, no question. The glass is what determines the performance of a camera system and using kit zooms on any of these bodies will only give you kit lens performance no matter how good the body is. The body only supports the glass. If you want a good camera, then start with good glass.

The E-PM1 Mini is a great body as well and still stands as the most versatile, full-featured, compact body around. The entrance of the OM-D has not changed that. If/When you decide you can afford an OM-D body down the road, you will still be able to keep the E-PM1 as your compact AND you will already have the good glass to make that OM-D shine. None of your money will go wasted.

4. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Option 1, if you are going to be using it as a backup. 45 is too long to use as a everyday lens.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Depends.
    I'm more of a reach guy than a wide guy & thus my 45 gets much more use than my 17. So what I'm saying is that it depends upon what you shoot most. :smile:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You just have to leave more distance with a 45mm lens. I shoot with a 50mm lens as a primary general-purpose lens all the time. There are no hard fast rules about perfect focal lengths, and most focal lengths can be used in many ways if you just adjust your shooting style.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I think Ned nails this one. Invest in the glass up front and then look to upgrade the body when you need to (and once you're sure that :43: works for you). The E-PM1 is a very capable little camera.

Seeing as how you're already using a DSLR I will trust that you know what focal length lens you want. That said, the 45mm (90mm in 35mm terms) would be longer than I want to use to shoot "snapshots of gettogethers" if any of those gettogethers occurs indoors. You might want to consider the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 or Pana-Leica 25mm f/1.4 for low light interior shooting.

8. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011

If he was going to give up on the kit lens, might as well save up a bit and get the em5+45 1.8. I don't think it's worth getting the EPM1 now anyways with a replacement due anytime soon.

9. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    i was thinking of using my canon 50mm with an adaptor for the get togethers.. then the 45mm oly for the other stuff?

10. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    The 50 canon adapted on the PM1 will be longer than the 45 Olympus.

11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Either way, 45-50mm is a medium telephoto focal length in :43:. I'm not saying you can't use it for your stated purpose, but just that I am personally more comfortable shooting a more "normal" 20-25 focal length in most indoor non-posed situations.

12. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    so, it would be better to get kit lens and oly45 to have more shooting choices with the epm1 if im on a budget, rather than the omd with the kit lens? im sorry if i got mixedup:) some people i asked around my place said that the 45mm seems to be good enough for fast shots like basketball games.so maybe i can use the kit lens of the epm1 for the snapshots?

13. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Yes, in any case get the 45 1.8. You'll need to get fast shutter speeds and the 5 axis ibis with kit lens won't help you get the freezing action and although the EM5 has a great sensor, it's only about one stop better than the EPM1.

14. Get the E-M5 and you'll probably find that your DSLR will become obsolete. Sell it, and there's all the money you need to buy some good lenses :biggrin:

15. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I used to have a DSLR myself, but it was too big and clunky to bring everywhere... so I bought a Canon S95. I missed the removable lense aspect and the image quality, so I sold my Canon S95 to get a E-PM1 w/ kit lens. I didn't enjoy the kit lens that much, but I'm absolutely shocked at how great the image quality is of the 20mm f/1.7. It's a great lens.

Eventually, I feel like you'll end up bringing your m4/3 camera around way more than your DSLR and the DSLR will sit at home collecting dust. I'd say go with the E-PM1 and 45mm. It's the perfect size for get togethers, parties, concerts, bbqs, anything social basically. I'm 20, in college, and it honestly is the perfect set up (well I have the 20mm, but they're both great lenses.) Lenses are the most important thing, body is second.

16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    It would help to tell us what DSLR you are using and with what lenses in order for us to be able to tell you whether an E-PM1 would need a fast prime lens or if the kit lens would suffice or whether the E-M5 with kit lens could also be another option.

17. chlau

chlau Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Option 1, I'd say. You'll have small, low profile n versatile in the package. After shooting it for a bit you'll know which end u prefer on the epm1 so u can decide on the 12, 14, 20 or 45 fast primes then. Standard zoom is there for a reason: they cover all the usual ranges you'll use so you don't miss a shot. And in a kit they're a bargain. But if you're absolutely sure a fast ff-equi 90 mm covers the majority of your shots then u shld go for Option 2.

I think Opt 3/4, cost wise, is off set by your owning a DSLR so save your funds for better lenses.

18. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    oh yea sorry:), i have a 600d with kit lens, 50mm 1.4 and the tamron 90mm.thats it so far since most of the time this past few months i've only been doing macros. thats why i wanted something for sports/events where my dslr isnt allowed because some events are weird that way..

19. chlau

chlau Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Then all the more u shld do options 1/2. OMD too SLR-looking me thinks. And save up for the new Oly 75mm/1.8 which wld be a fun lens for your events/sports where your 600d can't go :)

20. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I used to have a 600D with kit lens and I now have a E-M5 with kit lens. I'd say the 600D with kit lens performs about the same in typical indoor light (shoots at about the same ISO and shutter speed) as the E-M5. So if you found the 18-55 kit lens on the 600D was sufficiently fast for your indoor shooting, you should find the 14-42 kit lens on the E-M5 is sufficient.

BUT if you used to use the 50mm 1.4 on your 600D indoors, then I think you should get the Oly 45mm 1.8 or the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 coupled to either the E-PM1 or E-M5 in order to be able to shoot at roughly the same shutter speed and ISO.

I'm tending to think you should go for the E-M5 because then, like me, you may end up finding out the E-M5 can do anything your 600D can (with half the size and weight), hence the 600D wouldn't be needed anymore and you could sell it.