EPM1 + VF3 or EPL3 ??

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by tm3, Jul 14, 2012.

1. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    thinking in terms of versatility ... i really enjoyed the articulated screen on my old canon G3.

i'm not sure whether the articulated screen of the EPL3 would be more handy than an add on VF, such as the VF3 (which has a healthy rebate currently).

or, is the angle of view of these screens wide enough that the tilt (or VF) is not really much of an advantage?

i'm looking for small form factor with a pancake lens like the 20 panny or 17 oly. i've also considered the GF3 but there is no add on VF option for it, however the touch screen looks interesting.

i would appreciate hearing comments from those of you who have actually handled and used these different cameras.
  2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I have had the E PM1 since last December.
    I love the small form factor.
    I just recently picked up an E PL3, mostly for the extra controls.
    I think between the two I prefer the E PL3.It's like the best of both worlds.
  3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    FWIW I found the touchscreen on the GF3 to be rather poor - it's the old kind, not like a decent phone (or the E-P3) has. I think I'd go with the E-PL3 for now and see how you get on - you can always add the VF later, but you can't an articulating screen.
  4. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    capodave does the EPM1 seem a lot smaller? reading the specs it does not sound like much but might be different actually in hand (or more importantly, in pocket!).

do you all feel that the articulating screen is a significant advantage over the EPM1 (or EP3) as far as getting "odd perspective" shots, i.e. holding the camera really low or high? that is what i liked about the canon G3 that i had.

however, i played with a friend's nikon D7k and the live view is good from such a wide angle i'm not sure that having an articulating VF would help that camera much. my current DSLR does not have live view.

thanks for the help
  5. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I love the E-PL1 with the VF2. It's a superb combo, thinking you'd like that more than the VF3 - or the E-PL3. With the screen displays, the sun is always playing havoc with my trying to get the shot. Almost never happens with the VF2.
  6. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    yes the VF2 is the better VF, but with the current rebate the VF3 is only $80. i'm thinking that for framing purposes the VF3 may be adequate. but i've never used either.
  7. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I've used both. The VF2 is the bigger VF, and if you like to look at things, it is better for that purpose. For framing purposes the VF3 is fine. I didn't see any difficulties with magnify mode either for manual focus.

I have the VF2, but if I were buying a PEN today, the $99 rebate for the VF3 makes it a nice accessory,
  8. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    - PM1 and PL3 are of same size. Blindfolded you would not notice the difference, neither in hand nor in pocket. Visually you would have look at both one next to the other from above to notice 3mm more depth.

- The articulating screen is a definitive advantage for those shots, and generally to reduce reflections. P3 on the other hand has an OLED screen, which could be better to view under an angle.
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Is the Panny G3 too big for you? That would feel a lot like an Old Canon G3.
  10. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    The E PM is much lighter and also thiner.
    Easier to shoot one haned with a wrist strap.
    I have a VF2 but rarely use it.
    I like the advatage of the articulated screen.
    I haven't used it enough to know how much i will use it.
    I do prefer the extra controls on the E PL3 tho.
  11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    not sure if E-PL3 screen will be better in bright sun but the extra controls over E-PM1 is definitely nice to have. I've been using E-PM for 10 months now and can do everything E-Pl3 can do but it's only because I got used to changing settings quickly via menu. I much rather prefer external controls. Also IBIS on E-PM1 is completely unusable, not sure if it's the same with E-PL3.
  12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I'm with WT21, the G3 gives you the articulated screen and evf...

13. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    When I first started using the E-PL1 I felt the EVF was a necessity, but after a few months I personally found that I got used to shooting with the LCD and having either a flash or the external microphone in the shot shoe/accessory port.

Even under strong sunlight I've found I can usually still frame my shots just fine using the LCD. I found that when I used the VF2 I frequently removed it and swapped in an external flash for fill flash so I was left with the LCD for framing. I ended up selling the VF2 after I hadn't used it for eight months.

If Oly makes a Pen with an integrated EVF (sort of the same shape as the Sony NEX-7 or the Fujifilm X100) that doesn't block the hot shoe/accessory port then I might buy that camera. I know, the E-M5 has a dedicated EVF and separate hot shoe/accessory port but I don't like the feel of the E-M5 in my hands (I prefer the long, flat shape of the Pen series).
  14. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    thanks, everyone, for all of the comments.

from a functionality standpoint the G3 panny, or the OMD, are the most logical choices.

what i had in mind however was putting together a small as possible package to (hopefully) take the place of a P&S, and give me a taste of M43. i was thinking that a VF-less camera like the EPM1, EPL3, GF3, GX1 etc. would be more easily carried in a cargo or coat pocket.

might be a poor assumption on my part -- as JJJ says feel plays a big role and hard to do a feel test with no stock available locally. i have been able to play with the NEX5N and really, really like the handling but it has it's own issues re lack of lens options. even so i think that if the 5N had a decent pancake option i'd go with it.