epm1 to em10, how much of a leap?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by travelbug, Oct 11, 2015.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    im just using an epm1 with the kit and oly 25 atm. im fairly happy with it but i do see some of the limitations of the epm1. if all i did was street photography, would the leap to an em10 be worth it and why?

ive read and watched videos of reviews on the em10, but i want to hear specifics of what people here will say, which i value more than most reviews.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Uhm - E-PM1 or E-M1?

If it's an E-PM1, it's the exact step-up I chose, and it was well worth it. The image quality is visibly better on the E-M10 in all respects (in JPEG, but even more so in RAW). Handling is much improved - lots of physical controls, mostly configurable to your taste and needs. The EVF is really nice and a huge plus. The screen is also considerably better, especially in bright light - though I use the EVF almost exclusively, except for situations where the screen angle makes shots available I couldn't get otherwise. The built is quite sturdy, though the number of external controls means that some things things can break if you rough it - at least that's what I read, and I can relate to that. I haven't had anything break yet, though - it seems avoidable if you take a little care.

The only thing I find a bit less than convenient sometimes is size - the E-PM1 was the smallest mFT camera Olympus ever made, and it was still highly capable and nice to use. Mine broke - but I still miss it; the E-PL7 I replaced it with may be the more sophisticated camera, but it's not a lot nicer to shoot with, and considerably more bulky ... With that in mind, the E-M10 is still compact for what it is, and it allows for incremental steps in using its numerous controls - you can use it fully automated as well as fully manual without any real issues. It's extremely versatile.

All in all, you go from an understated, yet capable small camera that can be a bit fiddly to use at times to an amateur's dream-worthy powerhouse that will open up lots of additinal opportunities - at least that was what I experienced.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    For me, the biggest difference between a camera like the E-PM1 (I started with an E-PL2) and the E-M10, is that the Pens are basically P&S cameras with large sensors and interchangeable lenses. There is no EVF. None of the primary camera controls are direct: want to change AF sensor position? press left arrow button, then use the control pad buttons to change it. All the controls have some intermediate button push required. Drove me nuts coming from traditional, direct camera controls. You can work much faster and precisely with the OM-D bodies. And yes, performance items like AF speed, sensor characteristics and IBIS are much improved.

• Like Like x 1
  4. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    ive actually never had any difficulty operating my epm1 because ive set it up to use the super control panel so it operates just like most newer oly mft camers- pressing the center button of the jog wheel gives you access to a majority of the functions.

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Well, the touch screen control makes using the SCP even easier. But anyway, yes, the E-PM1's lack of hardware dials and buttons can slow you down a bit - though in my opinion, way less than one would expect. And with the E-PL7 (and of course, the E-P5), I don't see indirect control as a problem - apart from the missing second dial (and yes, that's missing IMO), it's hardly any slower or more indirect to use than the E-M10. That said, the E-M10 is a fantastically straightforward piece of kit - provided it's set up to suit your needs (which should be possible in most use cases).

M.

• Like Like x 1
  6. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    agree. i can see how the epm1 could be unwieldy without the scp, but it is there if you know how to activate it. imo, the epm1 has some drawbacks, but the controls arent one of them.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I've owned almost all the Olympus Pens up to and including the e-pm1 and in my opinion the colours on that model were not as good as most previous models but it did bring faster AF and a lot more menu options than previously.
    I say YES buy an e-M10 for the improved sensor ISO and DR, slightly improved resolution, better colours, faster processing, much better controls and absolutely awesome stabilisation.
    (I have an e-pL7 = e-M10 without built-in EVF)

• Like Like x 1
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sensor, image processor, AF system, LCD, touch screen, etc..... I started with the E-PM1 and have owned 7 others since then. Honestly I can't think of any that would not have been an upgrade from the E-PM1.

If you want to keep the size down look at the GM1 or GM5. They don't have IS but the IS on the E-PM1 isn't really that good so.
    If you don't need the EVF then the E-PL7 or E-P5 would be great.
    But as a general "update my E-PM1" my first choices would be E-M10 or E-PL7.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Adding on to what others have said, it is a huge leap between the E-PM1 and E-M10 (we have both, one we need to pass on to someone). The E-M10 gives you so many more options, better handling, more controls, etc. As b_rubenstein said, the E-PM1 is basically a P&S camera. The E-M10 along with your 25mm would make a superb street camera. FWIW - my wife is in London with that exact same combo as I type.

• Like Like x 1
  10. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    thanks guys. the evf on the em10 is one of the reasons i want to get it. plus the epm10 and epl7 are basically in the same price range so i see no reason to get the epl7 over the 10 tbh.

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The IBIS of the EM10 should be much better even if it's only 3 axis. In addition, you should be using the zero second anti shock setting which isn't available on the E-PM1.

12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I have both and much prefer the EM10. I find the IQ of the EPM1 to be inconsistent and have more image noise than any other m4/3 camera I've owned. The EM10 on the flipside has the best IQ / noise handling of any m4/3 camera I've owned to date. The better handling and feature set of the EM10 puts it in another league and is worth the size increase.