1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Epm1 shutter clicks and then turns off

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zacster, Dec 24, 2013.

1. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Help! We are on vacation and our epm1 stopped working. Everything is fine, but when we click the shutter I see a red flash next to the battery indicator and then it turns off. It sounds like the shuter is working but it is hard to say. Any quick advice would be welcome. Hopefully it is just battery or sd card?

2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I've only had wierd things like this happen when the battery is drained. I know that sounds overly simple but its the only thing I can think of.

3. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    Hmmm. We had charged the battery and the indicator said full. I wonder if battery capacity is low and I need a new one. But at the same time all the other features work, including the af which would require battery reserves. I tried formatting the card but that didn't help. I can't find much troubleshooting info on google and the manual has nothing. I somehow doubt I'll find a repair shop on Maui that'll be able to fix it.

Any other ideas appreciated.

4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    This thread - but no solution :mad:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=34649

You might try sending Ned a P.M. to see what the eventual resolution was on his.

I haven't found anything else on the issue, sorry.

Sounds like a trip to a Maui photography store is in order...perhaps you can find a deal on a :43: body???

Sorry for your troubles.

Regards,

Jim

5. MikeyP

MikeyP Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    I had a similar problem with a non-olympus battery, and ended up throwing the battery away.

Try removing the battery, count to 10, put the battery back, and try the camera again. You might need to do this twice.

Are you by chance using an Eye-Fi card? That also caused a number of similar issues with my E-PM1.

Mike

6. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I went to the camera shop in maui and he wasn't able to help. I don't think he quite understood mirrorless as he expected the shutter to be closed, but the shutter stays open until you take the shot and then it closes, exposes and reopens. He did try a differnt memory card, and after soing that it stopped shutting down, but the pictures were still black. Video works, as it did for Ned. I also PM'ed Ned but no response yet.

I thought I saw that Oly has a shop in Hauppage NY with walk in while you wait repair. That's close to home, but I am 6000 miles away. Oh well.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well...look at it as a sign...obviously the Powers That Be in the Universe of Photography are telling you to upgrade to an E-M5 :wink:. You already have the lens...

Seems like it never fails, Zacster; go to the corner zoo and the gear is flawless, go someplace that's both photogenic and far away and something will fail to function :mad:.

Sorry that Murphy's Law bit you while you are in such a great location!

Regards,

Jim

(Maybe give Olympus a call? http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_consumercontact.asp)

8. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I've sent Oly a repair email. Let's see what they have to say. I'm back in NYC now so maybe I'll just find a repair shop, or send it them on Long Island.

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
  10. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I can buy another body for little more than the repair charge. And yes it is out of warranty.

I still wonder if there is an easy fix. It was working one day and didn't work the next.

11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I paid the $98 to fix my EPM1. It had a broken shutter too and had been that way for months. For the degree of work involved, I think that's worth it, but as you say, the camera was probably not worth repairing.