Epm1 shutter clicks and then turns off

zacster

Mu-43 Regular
Help! We are on vacation and our epm1 stopped working. Everything is fine, but when we click the shutter I see a red flash next to the battery indicator and then it turns off. It sounds like the shuter is working but it is hard to say. Any quick advice would be welcome. Hopefully it is just battery or sd card?

Gary Ramey

Mu-43 Veteran
I've only had wierd things like this happen when the battery is drained. I know that sounds overly simple but its the only thing I can think of.

zacster

Mu-43 Regular
Hmmm. We had charged the battery and the indicator said full. I wonder if battery capacity is low and I need a new one. But at the same time all the other features work, including the af which would require battery reserves. I tried formatting the card but that didn't help. I can't find much troubleshooting info on google and the manual has nothing. I somehow doubt I'll find a repair shop on Maui that'll be able to fix it.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
This thread - but no solution :mad:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=34649

You might try sending Ned a P.M. to see what the eventual resolution was on his.

I haven't found anything else on the issue, sorry.

Sounds like a trip to a Maui photography store is in order...perhaps you can find a deal on a :43: body???

Sorry for your troubles.

Regards,

Jim

MikeyP

Mu-43 Rookie
I had a similar problem with a non-olympus battery, and ended up throwing the battery away.

Try removing the battery, count to 10, put the battery back, and try the camera again. You might need to do this twice.

Are you by chance using an Eye-Fi card? That also caused a number of similar issues with my E-PM1.

Mike

zacster

Mu-43 Regular
I went to the camera shop in maui and he wasn't able to help. I don't think he quite understood mirrorless as he expected the shutter to be closed, but the shutter stays open until you take the shot and then it closes, exposes and reopens. He did try a differnt memory card, and after soing that it stopped shutting down, but the pictures were still black. Video works, as it did for Ned. I also PM'ed Ned but no response yet.

I thought I saw that Oly has a shop in Hauppage NY with walk in while you wait repair. That's close to home, but I am 6000 miles away. Oh well.

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
I went to the camera shop in maui and he wasn't able to help. I don't think he quite understood mirrorless...
Well...look at it as a sign...obviously the Powers That Be in the Universe of Photography are telling you to upgrade to an E-M5 :wink:. You already have the lens...

Seems like it never fails, Zacster; go to the corner zoo and the gear is flawless, go someplace that's both photogenic and far away and something will fail to function :mad:.

Sorry that Murphy's Law bit you while you are in such a great location!

Regards,

Jim

(Maybe give Olympus a call? http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_consumercontact.asp)

zacster

Mu-43 Regular
I've sent Oly a repair email. Let's see what they have to say. I'm back in NYC now so maybe I'll just find a repair shop, or send it them on Long Island.

zacster

Mu-43 Regular
I can buy another body for little more than the repair charge. And yes it is out of warranty.

I still wonder if there is an easy fix. It was working one day and didn't work the next.

HarryS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I paid the $98 to fix my EPM1. It had a broken shutter too and had been that way for months. For the degree of work involved, I think that's worth it, but as you say, the camera was probably not worth repairing.

JimSk

New to Mu-43
I have an E-PM1 with a low shutter count which has this same problem (still photos cause camera shutdown, video works fine) which I just fixed:

Disassemble the camera by removing the back. Remove the metal cover on the flash, and remove the 4 screws on the hot shoe. With the camera up-sidedown, remove the 4 screws on the right hand side of the camera (one is on the side). THESE ARE LEFT HAND THREADED. Remove the 3 screws from the left hand side of the camera (one is on the side). Pull the back off, being careful not to yank any cables loose. When looking at the back of the camera, the shutter mechanism is on the left hand side. Follow the ribbon cable from the shutter mechanism to the circuit board. It will be taped to the connector. Peel off that piece of tape and you'll probably notice that the hinge holding the connector on is open. Because of the way the tape is holding two ribbon cables down, and the fact that the ribbon cable above it has a "z" fold in it, which makes it higher than the shutter ribbon cable, that "z" fold may be enough force to pull the shutter ribbon cable up enough to actually release the hinge holding the cable down on the circuit board. This is a very poor design.

Carefully line up the ribbon cable on the connector and push the hinge down onto the ribbon cable (it hinges to the left). You can test the camera by inserting a battery and pressing the shutter. If it works, remove the battery and reassemble the camera. I did not replace the tape holding the ribbon cables down. If I did, I would probably use two pieces of tape, one for the shutter and the other for the cable above it.

Help! We are on vacation and our epm1 stopped working. Everything is fine, but when we click the shutter I see a red flash next to the battery indicator and then it turns off. It sounds like the shuter is working but it is hard to say. Any quick advice would be welcome. Hopefully it is just battery or sd card?

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A suggestion. Bang it down hard onto a hard surface such as a table, with the base of the camera hitting the table. That may fix it.
Or it may wreck it, in which case you can bin it and not waste any more time and money on it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom