Epm1 shooter looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by greysonj, Nov 19, 2012.

1. greysonj

greysonj Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    I've got an epm1 and have been shooting solely with manual lenses. Mostly the 50mm super tak. I love the character from this lens, but a friend asked me to shoot her son's fifth birthday party and out of 80 photos only 40 up to standard. So I am in the market for an autofocus lens. I've seen plenty of photos from epm1s with the pl25 and the oly45 but I haven't seen any with the 75mm. I am quite interested in the lens, but the high price tag makes me weary. I know what it is capable of, but would it be worth having it on my camera?

2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    It's a great lens.
    After trying one I decided the fov was too long for most of what I would be taking.
    I have a 45 and that is also a great lens, but for most pictures I take I use the panny 20 for it's fov, low light capabilities and small form factor.

3. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    The 20 is good, the 12 is also extremely nice. Perhaps a shorter adapted lens would help? The OM 24 is very very good.

4. greysonj

greysonj Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I actually prefer the longer focal lengths so, while I will eventually pick up a pl25 for indoors my first inclination is to get a longer lens because I will use it more. I guess my real question is this: will the epm1 keep up with the quality of the lens?

5. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Yes - no problem keeping up - the e-pm1 I have has produced some spectacular images with a variety of lenses.

6. greysonj

greysonj Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    What I needed to hear! And also a relief to my wife because I've been trying to convince her to let me grab an omd

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd get a 12-35 for event style shooting. The ability to go wide-and-long while maintaining a constant aperture is the forte for that type of lens.

8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you like your Super-Tak not too badly, then maybe the 75mm would be a better compliment. The only issue you may find with it is that it'll be too long for some purposes, but if that happens you still have your Super-Tak to fall back on. Although, if you do continue using the super-tak, I would suggest you get the VF-2 if you don't already have it. Yes, you will love that lens on the E-PM1 and you don't need an OM-D to get the best out of it.

10. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Do you have any zoom lenses? If I were to keep one m43 lens it would be the Panasonic 14-45mm, which can be had for about $250. It's OIS is also very effective (more effective than the E-PM1's IBIS).

11. greysonj

greysonj Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    I love my super tak which is why I am not in a hurry to buy the 45mm. I bought the vf-2 about a week after I started shooting with manual lenses. The only reason I would need to get a shorter lens is to take pictures around a table for family dinners. Most of the stuff I do is outside and the times I am inside my 50mm is good enough. That sounds like a pretty good combo to me.

this is why I will keep my super tak

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/greysonjohnston/8201015498/" title="P1013352 by greyson.johnston, on Flickr"> 8201015498_a752a74ae0_z. "640" height="483" alt="P1013352"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/greysonjohnston/8199920503/" title="P1013356 - Version 2 by greyson.johnston, on Flickr"> 8199920503_8cf7986117_z. "640" height="483" alt="P1013356 - Version 2"></a>

I'm not a huge fan of zooms, although I still have the kit zoom that came on my epm1. I figure I wouldn't be able to get a whole lot for it and my wife isn't very adept with focusing manually. It does alright for what it does.

12. stonetape72

stonetape72 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    The 75mm is an astonishingly good lens - can't recommend it highly enough. That said, the 45mm isn't far behind and it's a better focal length for everyday use. You'll end up with both at some point, I bet :)

13. greysonj

greysonj Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, sorry to resurrect the thread, but I really appreciate the advice. I couldn't convince my wife to let me buy it, but I did rent it for a shoot on Saturday (of which I have mixed feelings: it's awesome to get paid, but having only the epm1 I feel like people look at it like a point and shoot... I need the omd haha) and holy crap is it beautiful! I love my super tak and it has tons of character, but it's obvious this is in a league above. AF was a little slow and at times inaccurate, but that could have been me because, admittedly, it was strange to use AF over MF. Overall, I loved this lens and will buy it eventually. Until then I will just be renting it for shoots.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1