1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EPM1 or XZ-1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by danng83, Jun 5, 2012.

1. danng83

danng83 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi,

Currently I own a GF2 with Lumix 14 and 20mm lens and my friend has lent me a legacy Takumar 50mm 1.4 to use.

Recently I've become a student and so I've been thinking of spending less on my photographic hobby. I'm thinking of just getting a system that is convenient to use on holidays and casual social shots.

I was wondering if it was worth selling my Lumix 14mm and getting a Oly XZ-1 instead. I've found that I miss having a bit of a zoom and IBIS. Or do you think getting a EPM 1 body is better?

I'm hoping to just get better jpegs. I do have lightroom 3, but we take lots of photos on holidays so I don't have time to post-process all the photos.

Thanks.

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    As nice a camera as the xz-1 is, the result will be worse jpegs, it is a point and shoot. You can get the e-pm1 with kit lens refurbished with 1 year warranty from cameta camera for $299 shipped - that will give you the zoom option for an inexpensive price, or you can sell the zoom and have the body for about $200.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    On average, the E-PM1 delivers better results (somewhat better JPEGs, much better RAW), and the prices on the kits are comparable (XZ-1 v. E-PM1 + 14-42. But the XZ-1 is certainly smaller and more convenient. If you go the E-PM1 route, it's probably worth keeping the 20/1.7 for indoor shooting.

DH

4. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
  5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I have both the E-PM1 and the XZ-1. I bought the XZ-1 recently (a refurb) to give me a compact, highly portable zoom with decent performance; it should fit that purpose well. But... if I were to keep only one, it would be the E-PM1; better sensor, more controls, etc.

6. danng83

danng83 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for all your replies. I'm wondering how important a brightish zoom is, that's why i'm attracted to the XZ-1. Is it a good compact, zoom with good enough performance for most things? I figure that I won't really be printing out too many professional prints. Or will a E-PM1 with kit zoom be just as good (in lowish light), except size wise?

Of course in an ideal world perhaps I would get the E-PM1 and a oly 45mm 1.8, but I think that's a bit unrealistic financially at the moment.

Do you think the E-PM1 is a significant upgrade from the GF2 in terms of high-iso, IBIS and jpeg output?

7. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    What about keeping the GF2 and picking up a P14-45? That would give you a useful zoom range AND switchable IS on the lens body. Any of the m43 bodies will give you better IQ than the XZ-1. What the XZ-1 would give you is macro capability.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Basically, yes. The lens isn't a bright, but the bigger sensor doesn't need as much light, so it's a wash.

The high ISO difference isn't that big. Most people prefer the color of the JPEGs though. As to IBIS, its effectiveness varies, but it certainly is useful.

DH

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think XZ1 is an excellent choice. I have an LX3 which uses the same sensor and also has a bright lens. It's very easy to use it to take good photos without thinking too much. If I was in the market for a compact "do it all" camera right now, XZ1 would be at the top of the list . XZ1's super bright lens is definitely a big help I am sure to keep the shutter speed up and ISO down. You do get that nice JPEG processing from Olympus also.

if you are looking to save a bit more, Samsung's TL500 is a similar camera that is very good and is priced quite a bit lower.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I agree with some others: If great jpegs are your goal, don't get the XZ-1. It's a great little camera, but the jpegs exhibit over zealous noise reduction followed by aggressive sharpening. They're ugly. You really need to shoot raw to get the most out of it.

When planning a trip to Asia, I got rid of my XZ-1 and got an EPM1 instead, knowing that while travelling I'd want good jpegs to email out. And then, of course, the raw files from the EPM are better too.

The XZ-1 is a splendid camera, but great jpegs is not what it's about.

12. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I usually shoot RAW+JPEG but was hoping to be able to use XZ-1 as a JPEG shooter. Oh,well...an extra few minutes in LR.

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I shoot RAW at all times for convenience sake... I find this as easy and fast for me as JPG with MUCH better results.

When I set out to make images, I will choose something larger than a P&S. But there are plenty of times when the LX5 is the perfect camera... so for me, having a FF Canon kit and a full blown m4/3 kit does NOT preclude the utility and value of a small zoom camera with a fast high quality lens... like the LX5. I use this little LX5 all the time for all manner of uses and love it. The IQ is remarkably excellent for many applications. 24mm WA equivalent at f/2.0 is awesome, with dramatic close-up capabilities. Very nice little camera to have! :smile: No m4/3 camera/lens combo is a direct replacement for a camera like the LX5 or ZX1; they each have niches that they are ideal for.

• Like Like x 1
  14. danng83

danng83 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you so much for your valuable comments. The XZ-1 sure is one tempting - portable do everything type P&S camera. But the deal on the EPM1 from Cameta is very competitive.

I also like the comments that it's okay to have a convenient P&S on the side. The macro ability and also deeper DOF are appealing to me (when you want the scenery in focus as well as people in simple travelling photos. But the GF2 is portable enough for me (compared to a LX5).

I'm thinking that I may keep the GF2 for now since the resale value is poor and it has been taking some fine photos and I'm not sure the EPM1 would be significantly better as long as I don't mind tweaking the GF2 a bit and using some RAW. Perhaps i'll be able to get at 45mm 1.8 someday and then I'll have pretty much most of my focal lengths covered.

I did have a 14-45 at one stage but recently sold it...