1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPM1 - Lag time between shots

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BigMike, Aug 14, 2012.

1. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi,

I'm currently shooting with an EPM1 + P20mm and get a lag/write time of around 3-4 secs between shots, which is quite frustrating. I shoot Jpegs only.

I'm using a Panny 8gb class 6 sdHC card (20MB/s) at the moment.

Just wondering is the only way to cut down the lag time is to get a faster card (class 10)? Or is there some setting within the EPM1 that will help?

Cheers,
    Mike

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Poking around the internet it looks like 3-5 fps is typical depending on various factors (switching off image-stabilisation speeds things up etc).

What shooting mode is enabled (eg continous shooting while the shutter button is held down vs single shot) ? What focus mode is enabled (single af vs continuous af) ?

I think your card is fine - it should be able to sustain faster speeds than you're experiencing.

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I don't have an EPM1, but I doubt its a setting issue; maybe writing smaller jpeg files can speed it up a bit but you'll loose quality of course. I can tell you a fast SD card makes a world of difference in your shooting experience. I have a 30mb/s card and a 95mb/s card (sandisk extreme pro), and when I have to resort to the slower card, its like pulling teeth. I can't tolerate it after getting the faster card. Try a faster card, you'll be surprised.

Edit:

Just out of curiosity, I did a test between the two sd card using a stop watch

Camera set Shutter Priority, 1/1250, MF

30MB/s card took around 3.5 seconds from shutter press to write Fine Jpeg + Raw
    90MB/s car took around 1.7 seconds

Fine jpegs only were pretty fast even on the slow card, around 1.5 seconds, so I guess disregard what I said if you shoot only JPEGs

4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    i dont have the epm1 but maybe is not a lag or anything and its maybe that "review time" that everytime you shoot you get a couple of seconds of the image you just took while writing and then you can continue shooting?. if thats the case, you gotta get rid of the "Review Time" in the menu to off. hope that helps?

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Yes, sorry for the incorrect terminology, I do mean what Chrisnmn is referring to, the 'review time'. I want to make the time between shots as minimal as possible, espcially when I'm taking photos of my toddler.

Thanks, I will switch it off and try it out again! If it doesn't help, I'll probably have to invest in a faster card.

I just do single shots and single AF, nothing complicated, but the time between shots is annoying...

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Menu - Wrench - Rec View - OFF :2thumbs:

7. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    You're a champ! As well as all the others who have responded!

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Glad you got it fixed!

On the OMD, I have Rec View set to 1 sec, but I can cancel it with a shutter half press after taking a photo.

Maybe the EPM1 can do the same, so you can have best of both worlds :D

9. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Hope so too, will try out tonight!

10. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Yes, the Rec View was set to 5 secs, I've now reduced it to 1 sec and it's operating like it just had red bull...

Thanks all, would have never worked it out without the help from you guys!