EPM1, Canon FD and IBIS?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by 02doooce, Jan 22, 2012.

1. 02doooce

02doooce New to Mu-43

Dec 17, 2011
    So Ive got the EPM1 set up with my canon FD 50mm f/1.4, how do I check to make sure the IBIS is turned on and set properly for this setup?

In playing around with the Canon FD lens, I found myself primarily using Shutter priority what shooting mode or setting is everyone else using when shooting legacy lens?

2. For IBIS you need to make sure it is on and the focal length setting matches that of the lens you have attached. Any mode other than M or S will work as an aperture priority mode and set the exposure for you based on what aperture you have selected on the lens. Assuming the E-PM1 dial operates like other Olympus models, don't use A mode because the dial won't do anything useful. Using something like P mode allows you to assign exposure compensation to the dial which is very handy since metering with adapted lenses is not always completely accurate, particularly at smaller aperture settings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WolfBane

WolfBane Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Hi LuckyPenguin,

A (aperture priority) seemed to work OK for me with a legacy pentax 50mm lens. Adjusting the F stop on the lens seemed to change the shutter speed when I next half-pressed the shutter. Also, pressing the top section of the dial (marked +/-) allowed me to set exposure compensation, eg +0.3EV.

I'm new to the E-PM1 so I'm not 100% sure about this yet though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    The funny thing is that when I first put my 50 1.4 on my camera, I went to IBIS settings and it was set to 50mm. I wonder if it has some auto-detect function, although it could be the default manual setting as that's the most likely lens to be used.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, 50mm is just the default.