Epm1 acting up

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by alex m, Feb 28, 2014.

1. alex m

alex m New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if any of you had a similar problem with your camera. My epm1 started turning off after tacking a picture, the picture it turned of on was usually overexposed. At first it did this rarely and I thought the problem would go away, or at least it didn't bother me that much, but after a while it got more frequent, so upon contacting Olympus they suggested to do a factory reset, that did nothing to correct the problem. The camera is still under warranty so I sent it in for repair. Got it back a few days later and the camera is doing exactly the same thing, I wonder if it was even looked at. It kinda is a hassle to send the camera back and forth so I was thinking of just getting a new camera, but I'm scared of getting another Olympus or pehaps I just got a lemon. Did any of you guys have reliability problems with your camera so early on. I would like to stay with Olympus because I already have couple lenses for it. Thanks you for any suggestions.
  2. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    It could be a bad battery, can you try with a different one?
  3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I only ever had but one, Olympus digital camera, with any electrical problem of any kind, That's after near a dozen cameras. So they are very dependable. but it can and does happen to any brand. I have used Olympus cameras for about 25 years. If a different battery and, or memory card doesn't fix it, you likely have an internal loose connection, that will just get worse. Time to get it warrantied or replaced. You need to talk to someone in authority. Email etc., just don't get it done sometimes.
    I have the E-pm1 also. Does great.
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I think you should resubmit a warranty claim, include the card with bad pix, and call them with the RMA number to let them know how they missed the first repair before you send it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    This was happening to my EPM1 as well, except that the pictures were totally black. Everything else about the camera works, but you can't take a photo. When I contacted Olympus all they said was send it in and for a flat fee of about $100 they'll have it fixed. I can get something else for $100.

I called an independent repair shop and they said they don't work on Olympus cameras. They used to send them back to Olympus but even that got to be too much of a hassle for them so they won't even look at it.

So, after about 2 years my EPM-1 is useless. It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy about Oly. I bought a used G5 as a replacement and am happy with it. My daughter, the real user of the camera, liked the size of the EPM1 better, but still appreciates the G5 as being a better fit. Something about the built in EVF just makes it easier to use.
  6. alex m

alex m New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I already tried a different SD card, I don't have another battery, but this battery holds a decent charge. I will try to send it out to Olympus again as the camera is still under warranty. I was just dissapointed that the camera started giving me problems so early on (about 6 month old) and that their repair department sent the camera back not fixed. I have cameras that are 10 years old and still working fine. Everything else about the epm1 is great, good image quality for the size and price.
  7. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    It could be the lens. Have you tried another lens?

Overexposure caused by a lens can happen when the stop-down mechanism operates too slowly or fails to operate at all.
  8. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    In my case I tried them all. Different battery, different card, different lens. I did a factory reset. I used an adapted lens with no electrical contact. I suppose for $100 it may be worth it for Oly to factory repair it, but if your experience is any indication it won't come back repaired.

One day it worked, and the next day it didn't. I've scoured the internet for a fix and nobody has ever been able to correct this on their own, or at least write about it. This forum is the main source of conversation anyway so if it isn't posted here it didn't happen.
  9. Chris08

Chris08 New to Mu-43

Apr 16, 2015
    Hi, my E-PM1 also tends to overexpose...problem seems to to have become worse during my last vacation :(
    I have swapped the battery and performed a reset, but no improvement...