EPM-1 with Canon FD 50mm f1.8

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pels_17, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Pels_17

Pels_17 New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    i just got my EPM1 yesterday and I ordered a Canon FD lens and an adaptor from ebay, which i have not received yet. My question is, do i have to do some changes in the menu of the EPM1 for the Canon FD lens to work?
  2. Manila Man

Manila Man Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm guessing you focus manually with an adapted lens.
  3. Pels_17

Pels_17 New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    im aware of that. what im asking is do i have to set anything in the menu for a legacy lens to work?
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010

Although depending on what and when you're shooting you may benefit from setting the Image Stabilisation focal length (this is set automatically by a native lens).
  5. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    There isn't a setting on the Olympus body "shoot without lens" like there is on other bodies that requires it to be set to "on" before it will allow you to use a manual lens.
  6. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    This might be on by default. I do not remember enabling this when I got my EPM1, which was brand new from the box.

OP: You will need to get an FD to m43 adapter before you can use the 50mm lens. Recommended brands are Fotodiox and RainbowImage. There are other adapters on eBay, but I feel that these are the two highest quality ones.
  7. Pels_17

Pels_17 New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    Thank you for clearing that out. I just came from a Panasonic GF3 camera, im a total newbie with Olympus. Appreciate it.
  8. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    Don't need to do anything. You will as others have said setting the IS focal length is useful if you are using IS. Program seems to work fairly well with adapted lenses. A good trick is to use one of the mysets to set the camera to reasonable setting for an MF lens - e.g. using the red button for focus magnify on/off.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Pels_17

Pels_17 New to Mu-43

May 25, 2012
    Summer is here!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mancunianlad

mancunianlad New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2012
    EM5 and Micro 4/3 adapters

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to this site and trying desperately to find an answer to a problem. I am a new and very happy owner of an Oly OMD EM5 which I bought last week after months of searching for the 'right' camera for my needs. I'm over the moon with it so far having got 3 dedicated Oly M4/3 lenses.

I also own a couple of legacy Pentax PK lenses which I've had for years (28-70mm and 75-300mm) and wanted to try them out. So I bought a cheap PK to M4/3 adapter on eBay and it arrived yesterday. Since then I've tried in vain to see how I can use the lenses. I can attach them easily but no matter what program setting I try (incl delving deep into the camera settings) I cannot for the life of me see anything via the EVF. I just don't know what I need to do and am convinced it's a simple camera setting I've overlooked. I see on this thread that this camera does not have a 'shoot without lens' setting and should just work automatically. The camera manual is pretty useless and I can't find anything on what I need to do to shoot with legacy lenses (via adapters). I don't know if that would be solved by buying a more expensive mount or if this doesn't matter (I don't need aperture control as this is already present on the lenses).

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me in this situation.

Many thanks,
  11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    To Mike with the nonworking PK adapters....

When you look at the lens mount on the camera body, locate the lens locking pin. This pin fits into a hole on the back of the lenses. If it is not fully extended, the LCD will not display an image with an Olympus body. When you press the lens release pin, you will see the pin retract.

Your adapter may be a poor fit, or you have it misaligned so the pin doesn't fall into the hole on the adapter. Wiggle the adapter a bit and see if this is the problem. I've seen one adapter that acts like yours when used with heavier lenses. The weight of the lens must bow the adapter. Ugh.

Otherwise, there is no on-camera menu settings needed on an EM5 to use an adapter lens, other than choosing how you wish to invoke the magnification mode for manual focus. By default, the FN2 button has that included.
  12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    In addition to what HarryS wrote when you attach a lens or adapter to the camera don't press down the camera's lens release button as you can turn the lens PAST the locking point and you'll get the black screen.