EPM-1 reduce shutter sound-can this be done?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by David, Feb 7, 2012.

1. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Hi

I have done quite few searches. But I can't seem to find out whether
    there is any setting where I can reduce the noise level of the shutter when
    I take a picture. If you can assist please let me know.

thanks in advance

David

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No, its an actual physical sound, not a simulated one. The EPM1 and EPL3 have somewhat clunky sounding shutters. More of a "thunk!" than the cleaner "click" of the EP3. Nothing to be done but to encase the camera in a couple of layers of pillows while shooting, but that would probably play hell with the image quality... :cool: Or buy an X100 - those things are dead-silent.

-Ray

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is a device called a "sound blimp" which you use to deaden shutter sound completely.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, unfortunately that cluh-clunk is just part of using these PENs. Though I don't understand why it fires the shutter every time you power on the camera.

5. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Mine does his also.
    I love everything else about the camera tho.

6. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    thanks for all reply. will look into "sound blimp". sometimes in a quiet location I want to
    quiet the shutter thats all.

7. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    The Sound Blimp is very cool, but may be overkill for you:
    What is a Sound Blimp?

Anyone know whether a half-case or a skin helps to damp the sound a bit?

8. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    The Nikon 1-system cameras let the user select and electronic rather than a physical shutter. Why all cameras don't do this is beyond me, compact cameras are perfectly able to take a photo with no physical shutter. I understand there are some image quality issues, but sometimes discretion is more important. It would also let you use the camera as a backup if/when the shutter dies.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Your bolded statement I think answers your own question. I think for the majority of us using system cameras with full-sized sensors, image quality takes precedence over discretion by quiet shutter. ;)

There are also some other advantages to an electronic shutter such as blazing fast frame rates, but again to the majority of us who are using a full system camera that's of lesser importance than the lower noise levels and higher sensitivity of a sensor made for a mechanical shutter. The manual control and specialization of a system camera is more conducive to those who are careful about getting the image right in every aspect, rather than those using the "Spray and Pray" method of shooting.

I really do like the description in Hiep's link, though... Very concise and informative:

10. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Consider the fact that all m43 cameras take video though, which requires no mechanical shutter, so it is obviously technically possible. I understand that there would be a hit in quality, but the user should be able to choose their own priorities imo.