1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPM-1 reduce shutter sound-can this be done?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by David, Feb 7, 2012.

1. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Hi

I have done quite few searches. But I can't seem to find out whether
    there is any setting where I can reduce the noise level of the shutter when
    I take a picture. If you can assist please let me know.

thanks in advance

David

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No, its an actual physical sound, not a simulated one. The EPM1 and EPL3 have somewhat clunky sounding shutters. More of a "thunk!" than the cleaner "click" of the EP3. Nothing to be done but to encase the camera in a couple of layers of pillows while shooting, but that would probably play hell with the image quality... :cool: Or buy an X100 - those things are dead-silent.

-Ray

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There is a device called a "sound blimp" which you use to deaden shutter sound completely.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, unfortunately that cluh-clunk is just part of using these PENs. Though I don't understand why it fires the shutter every time you power on the camera.

5. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Mine does his also.
    I love everything else about the camera tho.

6. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    thanks for all reply. will look into "sound blimp". sometimes in a quiet location I want to
    quiet the shutter thats all.

7. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    The Sound Blimp is very cool, but may be overkill for you:
    What is a Sound Blimp?

Anyone know whether a half-case or a skin helps to damp the sound a bit?

8. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    The Nikon 1-system cameras let the user select and electronic rather than a physical shutter. Why all cameras don't do this is beyond me, compact cameras are perfectly able to take a photo with no physical shutter. I understand there are some image quality issues, but sometimes discretion is more important. It would also let you use the camera as a backup if/when the shutter dies.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Your bolded statement I think answers your own question. I think for the majority of us using system cameras with full-sized sensors, image quality takes precedence over discretion by quiet shutter. ;)

There are also some other advantages to an electronic shutter such as blazing fast frame rates, but again to the majority of us who are using a full system camera that's of lesser importance than the lower noise levels and higher sensitivity of a sensor made for a mechanical shutter. The manual control and specialization of a system camera is more conducive to those who are careful about getting the image right in every aspect, rather than those using the "Spray and Pray" method of shooting.

I really do like the description in Hiep's link, though... Very concise and informative:

10. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Consider the fact that all m43 cameras take video though, which requires no mechanical shutter, so it is obviously technically possible. I understand that there would be a hit in quality, but the user should be able to choose their own priorities imo.