1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EPM-1 Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tlong, Feb 20, 2012.

1. tlong

tlong Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2012
    Southeast USA
    Tracey
    Hi guys! I have just recently registered on this forum and have enjoyed reading the threads here. This seems like a friendly corner of the web!

I just bought my EPM-1 a few weeks ago, but am a longtime Canikon user :) I need a little help understanding the focus on this camera. I have the SCP enabled. When I turn face recognition off, I would think that the focus square that I have chosen would be what would be in use at that point, but it still seems to choose an area on its own. What do I have set wrong?

What are your tips for accurate focus? I have a 25 1.4 on the way and understand the importance of nailing focus! Also, I'd love to see a photo of that lens next to the Olympus kit lens that came with my camera. I have read so many good things about it, but have seen some say that the size is a drawback....I have no idea how big it is...Thanks in advance!

Here's a quick snap of my daughter, just to help me introduce myself here:
    20121216-PC160033-L.
    Tracey

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Setup => Sprockets => AF/MF => AF Area => [●]
    (this will allow you to choose the focus point yourself)

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome the the user group/cult, Tracey!

I don't have a kit lens anymore to do a size comparison for you, but it is just a bit larger than the kit zoom. It definitely feels big and heavy compared to the 20mm/f1.7 or Oly 45/1.8 (both highly recommended), but still pretty small compared to a fast DSLR lens.

On my wife's E-PL3 (same setup, I believe as your E-PM1), I set the focus to single point and then mostly focus and recompose. If I have more time and set up a shot, I will sometimes then use the direction pad to move the focus point to the appropriate place. I usually have the face detection off, but my wife prefers to use this and thinks it helps with fast moving kids.

Looks like you have the focus down on your first post - cute kid and nice photo! :smile:

4. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Tracey!

On the PENs, the iAuto mode overrides any focus settings you make, and still chooses face recognition.

So, don't use iAuto, unless it's a last ditch "everything's fouled-up and I need to get a shot quickly" scenario.

In any other program mode, dive into the menus to the "two gears" icon, then "AF/MF", then "AF Area." From that, select that single dot between the two square brackets.

In that "AF/MF" submenu, also set "Full Time AF" to off, and still picture settings to "S-AF+MF" which will allow a single shot at autofocus, then allow you to set manually adjust if you decide it's needed.

Hope that helps! It's from an E-P3, but I think the PENs have very similar menu schemes.

Edit - shees, you guys are faster on response than me! And completely agree how cute that kid is!

5. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My EPM1 has the left part of the dial assigned to focus area selection. I use face detect by default, and sometimes select a center or center-high focus point when necessary. There is a chance that the left dial button wasn't originally mapped to this function, and maybe I mapped it myself, but that's not how I remember setting up my camera.

Also, don't be afraid to try face detection for a while. IMHO it works brilliant, and is one of the biggest selling points of µ43, and particularly Olympus, which detects the face and focuses on an eye. (some setup may be required, I can't recall). I wish all my cameras did eye detection focus.

6. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

My problem with face detect is the PENs seem to decide something dumb is a face, and gives me unwanted focals. If you're getting it to work well for you, I need to hear more. :)

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    It's good at finding faces, but at least on the E-PL1 the "false positive" rate seems high. I've remapped the Fn button to toggle face detect on/off, and just activate it for shots that include faces. Otherwise I also use the center focus and recompose method.

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Maybe this has already been explained, but what you're describing seems to be AF, which is invoked when you toggle to all of the grids outlined in green. If it's just one, that's where the camera will focus. If it's all of them, then it's AF.

9. tlong

tlong Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2012
    Southeast USA
    Tracey
    Thanks, guys. I think I have this worked out now, thanks to your help. Now, I have a new question :) I have read somewhere that you can shrink the size of the single area focus box, but can't find that in the menus anywhere. Is this only available on the EPM-1's big brothers? Also, to focus and recompose, have you set the record button to AFL?

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Use the Magnifier button or the Info-settings Zoom Box to change the size of your AF box.

Since you have the E-PM1, you don't have a dedicated Magnifier button but you can easily set the Record button to be the Magnifier (Setup => Button/Dial => Button Function => ● => Magnifying Glass). Enter the magnifier then press INFO to change the size of the box (from 7x to 14x). When you AF with that box still active, it will use the location and size of that box to set your Autofocus.

Or, if you really need that Record button for something else, then turn on the Zoom Box in the Info settings by going to Setup => Disp/PC => Info Settings => LV-info => Zoom => On. Then when you cycle through the Info button settings you will see that big green box. Press OK to zoom in then turn the dial to change the size of the box (from 7x to 14x).

If your rotary dial does nothing, then you have to unlock it first. Go to Setup => Sprockets => Button/Dial => ۞ Lock and set that to OFF.

11. tlong

tlong Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 13, 2012
    Southeast USA
    Tracey
    Thanks, Ned...I will check out those options. You are most helpful!
    Tracey

12. Ned, I have been trying to do this very thing, but something is wrong. I have gone to Setup => Button/Dial => Button Function => ● => Magnifying Glass as indicated. However, when pressing the Record button, nothing happens. No box appears, and nothing changes from whatever info is currently being displayed. Pressing it again does nothing either. What am I missing?

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Something is wrong there... When you press it the first time the green box should appear, then the second time is when it'll magnify where the box is, and give you the option to change the box size... I honestly can't think of what could be wrong otherwise!

14. Thanks!

I agree. Of course, wouldn't you know it, it started to operate properly between my query and your response! :smile: I guess it's the old "try the appliance one last time after the repairman parks in the driveway but before he gets to the door" syndrome. Fortunately your posts cost less than the repairman, and are always quite helpful and/or entertaining.

Back to the E-PM1, I have discovered that this "Record Button brings up the magnify function" setting is pretty much the same thing as going instantly to the "Zoom" LV info setting. The Zoom LV Info setting is helpful, but it would be more helpful if it could be combined with some of the other view settings (grid, histogram, etc.). And in fact, it seems that if the Record button is set to Magnify, then the Zoom info view is not available (i.e., turned off).

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Correct, it only allows you to use one or the other. The Magnify function is better, as it is easier to release and go back to the full view mode at the half-press of the shutter.