EPL9 - What are your thoughts

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robert Evangelista, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Robert Evangelista

Robert Evangelista Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2016
    Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
    Robert Evangelista
    Review: The 2018 Olympus E-PL9

Things I like:
    4K on a entry level camera Coupled with IBIS.
    Great Build Quality and Feel
    Latest Image Processor
    121 AF points

Things that Concerns me:
    No Option to add in EVF. However it never stopped me shooting before.
    Dumbed down Features. For the sake of separating it from other models.

P1310031OLYMPUS M.45mm F1.8. P1310035OLYMPUS M.45mm F1.8-3. P1310037OLYMPUS M.45mm F1.8.

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Pro:
    Sweep Panorama (First in an Olympus)

Con:
    All the hemming and hawing from people who probably would never have bought the camera anyway. :hiding:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Looks like it's aimed at the same audience as the Fuji XA series. They don't have the option to add an EVF either, although none of the XA series ever did.

4. Artaius

Artaius Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2017
    instagram.com
    /jamesartaius
  5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
  6. magIBIS

magIBIS Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Central Europe
    I like the compromises a lot. Only hurt is silent shutter, that is nice for such a compact cam. But the ep2 never stopped me - and doesn't my better part using it still today.
    The look is right on spot for a stylish upgrade from a smartphone!

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Noticed it has Bluetooth but it isn't clear exactly how that is going to be utilized as it has WiFi as well.

As to no EVF, easy fix. Pick up an OLY 17mm lens and the VF-1 and you will have a retro style OPTICAL viewfinder that matches the lens. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 3
  8. magIBIS

Jun 8, 2016
    Central Europe
    The bt is mostly used for quick pairing and some cameras can backup in the background - slower, but effectively might be even a more instant feeling.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    This is a complete killer IMHO:

What the hell are Olympus up to? Has the village idiot taken over engineering?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Paul, where is this quote from? Does this mean that there is no SCP on the E-PL9?

11. magIBIS

Jun 8, 2016
    Central Europe
    Actually - I don't know a single person in real life, that would use this cam with the though of controling the iso. I think exp comp in A-prio or S-prio is a challenge enough. Mostly zoom is King. To change the iso once to base at day and auto for indoor/night is manageable. I think it's more a safer bet of the marketing to rely on auto iso and auto nr.

12. thazooo

thazooo Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Dana F.
    Glad to see they changed the grip back. I'm a big fan of the E-PL series 1 and now a 6. It would be a no brainer for me if it had the 5 axis IBIS. Since it doesn't I'll have to watch and see how the new processing engine works out. I'm a hold over from the film days so all the bells and whistles don't do much for me. Nice style.

Dana

13. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's from Robin Wong's review.

Review: The 2018 Olympus E-PL9

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'd be very surprised if that's the case Sameer. I'm guessing that using the SCP is included in Robin's "digging into the menus". My tongue-in-cheek comment about the village idiot running engineering really would be true if they'd removed the SCP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    One site I looked at mentioned the SCP and having to go into the menus first to turn it on (which is normal for most Oly models), so the Super Control Panel does not appear to have gone away with the '9.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Not much of an upgrade from my epl5. No 5 axis Ibis. No improved sensor performance.

I don't need 4k video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It does look like they finally, in this the 8th iteration (there was no E-PL4) finally got the grip right for the first time since the E-PL2 and the optional add-on MCG-2 that could get put on the E-PL3 and E-PL5 to replace the one it came with)

I can't think of anything else positive for still shooters that they added to it, relative to the E-PL7, and the lack of an EVF option and 5-axis IBIS means I would not consider upgrading from the E-PL7 even if it were free to me to do so. I did upgrade from the E-PL5 to the E-PL7 to get better IBIS and the anti-shock support, and somewhat better controls, despite the E-PL5 having the better grip option.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The three axis IBIS is much better than the two axis of the EPL5. I have had both the EPL5 and the EPL7, which had the three axis IBIS, and there was a world of difference. Also, the EPL7 has the zero second shock which greatly reduced shutter shock issues and I assume the EPL9 has it as well. OTOH, aside from 4K vid, I'm not tempted to upgrade from my EPL7.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Things I like:
    It's pretty
    /EOM

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

Being that I didn’t upgrade to the E-PL7 or 8, this is a welcome consideration for me.

In the E-PL9, I like the grip, the pop up flash, wireless (which I love for file transfer and triggering the camera from my phone with my E-M10 and E-M1) and see the benefits on battery life with Bluetooth, touch focus, 4K video, sweep panorama, wireless remote flash, cool factor and compact size.

I do not like the term all the reviewers use implying the camera is entry level for beginners, people wanting more than iPhone. That is plain nonsense. The E-PL series are serious rugged cameras that are used by professional photographers like myself. Over the years I have had more people being impressed by the look of my little E-PL cameras, than any other I have shot with.

As for lack of dedicated buttons and no evf, what is being expected - a duplicate of the E-M10? Silliness. Buy it for goodness sake. Even when I have a dedicated button for doing so, I make my ISO changes on the SCP - which this camera has like every other one. SCP is one of best features of these cameras. Of course Olympus always has custom configuration of any of the camera buttons and dials if the tendency if to want quick access to commonly used features.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1