epl8 vs gx85

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Apr 5, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    I'm an oly shooter, but the gx85 looks like the superior camera. Today's press release is very impressive. I've been considering picking up an ultra portable camera and was leaning towards the epl7 or 8, but I think the gx85 is the way to go now.

What do you think? Any reasons why I should go with a pen mini instead?
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is superior, but they aren't even in the same league. The PEN is a low end consumer model while the GX is a somewhat successor to the GX7, a noticeably bigger prosumer model.
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The PENs have a screen that flips all the way around for selfie-use. If that's important to you, that's something. But otherwise, the GX85 is clearly better. But probably at a slightly higher price point, too, and it's a bit bigger.

Compare camera dimensions side by side (GX7 not GX85, but the new camera is only a little smaller).

The GF7 compares more directly to the E-PLs, but doesn't have IBIS. So it's still a choice over size vs. features.
  4. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Yes, the PL7, but previewphotos of PL8 seems as it's got a real tiltscreen. Also the PL8 looks smaller than many m43's.
  5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If the 5-axis IS works as well as the OMD systems, you get that vs the 3-axis of the EPL7 plus the built-in EVF. I don't call it ultra portable as it is almost the same size as my EM5 if I ignore the hump, and noticebly bigger than my EPL5.. It will cost $360 more than an EPL7 body, but does come with the nice 12-32 zoom. Finally, while we can argue about which is better, there's now another menu system to learn if one has never owned Panasonic.

I do like the features on the GX85. It could replace my EPL5 and EM5 pair, should both of them go missing at the same time. Until I see specs on an EPL8, I wouldn't know, but the EPL8 will need an EVF to muster interest over my EPL5.