1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Epl7 users...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by adrenalinerush, Apr 9, 2015.

1. adrenalinerush

adrenalinerush New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2014
    Are there many EPL7 users out there? Im thinking of purchasing one, but havent seen many posts about them. if you have one... what are your thoughts? Worth it or spend the extra $100 for the em10? I'm not a photographer but would like nice pics whenever i do take them.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    AFAIK the only difference is the missing EVF and the full screen flip-up for selfie. Do you need one? EVF is great in bright light to clearly see what you are shooting. It keeps the camera more stable, important with long lenses. It's easier to follow moving targets. Then there are personal preferences.

If you want to save more money go for a refurbished E-PL5: same sensor, but a worst image stabilization system (IBIS) and slightly worst processor.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras.html

No camera is going to make much difference in the picture you take: a better guitar won't make you a better player. Think about the photo you took with your current camera/phone and imagine those with slightly more natural colors, better gradations in the dark and bright parts, less grain, less blurry: not exactly what matters most in a picture. To get really nicer pics you need a little study of photography and a lot of exercise.

Any camera works at its best with good lenses so consider if you plan to buy other lenses too. The standard lens is definitely not a bad one, but it's not a special one either.
    There are good fixed lens cameras, like the Sony RX 10 or Panasonic FZ1000, that could be better options.

3. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I have the E-pl5 which I choose because of small size and the option for a "cheap" underwater house. It is a great camera but if you do find yourself taking pictures with bright sunlight you will most likely like to have the EVF (I had to get that even living in Denmark where sun is not a huge problem :)). You can add the EVF to the E-pl7 but keep in mind that the VF2,3 and 4 do not come cheap.

I am considering getting the E-m10 as a second camera (keeping the Epl5 for UW) because of the improved IBIS and functionality which is a big plus for the e-m10. But then if you "only" want to use the camera as a point and shoot, then the smaller size of the E-pl7 is a big plus. Paired with one of the Panasonic pancakes it would make is a fantatisc pocket camera and any camera in the world is only great if you actually have it with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    I thought long and hard between the Panny GX7, Oly E-M10 & E-PL7 to replace my trusty Panny G5 as I wanted IBIS for my fave lenses (at the time) didn't have the OIS (Panny 7-14, 20-1.7, Oly 45/1.8).

I handled all 3 of them in a shop and excluded Panny due to not as good IBIS (2 axis and no movie) and thought the E-PL7 felt better to hold than the E-M10 for some reason and was slightly smaller and lighter too.

I don't do too many selfies but it's an advantage when you do want to take them so that was a plus... I also use the screen 90% of the time on my G5 and the only time I used the EVF when I had to get a steady as possible shot without IS so thought that I could easily live without it with an IBIS body.

One thing that the E-M10 does have an advantage of over the E-PL7 is more controls with twin control dial and more function buttons but i looked at the way that I personally shoot and I usually only use Aperture Priority to change Aperture and I have assigned my single function button to change exporure compensation so single dial is fine with me. I suspect if you use frequent adjustments when using viewfinder (which EPL-7 doesn't have) then the E-M10 is a better choice. I have configured mine to have the Super Control Panel (not default) and most of my adjustments can be easily made using this by touch screen and the single dial, so again I personally find this enough.

I did get myself a VF-4 viewfinder (which is better than the one on E-M10) which I got used on ebay, for half price of new, so have the option to use this if I need it but obviously this pushes the price of the E-PL7 above the E-M10 but I just find this little package to be more inconspicuous as it looks less like a D-SLR type of camera unlike the E-M10 with prism bulge.

I would recommend that you go to a camera retail shop and try them out in your hand and decide which one suits your needs... It's surprising how they can feel different in the hand...

IQ wise they are virtually the same camera so what you are paying for is the packaging where the E-M10 has a few extra bits for a small additional cost

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Ask yourself, would you pay $100 extra for an EVF and a second control dial? That's the choice between an EPL7 and an EM10.

I borrowed an EPL7 for a few weeks and did a review. Great little camera, a lot of fun to use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yes, I would. :D

7. adrenalinerush

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks for all ypur responses! I'll try to get into a camera store soon and get the feel of both.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I got a bargain e-pL7 and I think it's a really good camera : but I already had VF-2 and VF-4 ready for it.
    If you calculate the price of an EVF then the E-M10 seems better value.

9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I use to think I would say no to the EVF, not anymore. I had both an E-M1 and E-P5 at the same time. Sold them both as I didn't need many of the other functions and picked up an E-M10 and some other gear with the proceeds.

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    When the E-PL7 came out we thought about purchasing it but we opted for the EM-10 instead. We actually reduced out number of bodies down to three: EM-10, EM-5 ii and GH4 (for videos). I don't think that we will purchase a camera without an EVF anymore, too many times of shooting blind. The EM-10 is still reasonably compact, my wife has it in London with the 25mm and EZ lenses at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  11. adrenalinerush

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I went with the epl7. Hopefully it'll be a good choice. Got everything for about $550 (Bundled).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Do NOT get the PL5. IMO you lose quite a bit. 1) The IBIS is so bad its best to keep it off. PL7's does not blur the image (+2 stops). 2) The PL5's shutter can cause shutter shock. The PL7 has an electronic first curtain, meaning no shutter shock (+2 stops at certain shutter speeds).

Finally, as a note, I got the GM1 (cheaper than PL7; and smaller). I made that choice because the GM1 is tiny I'm planning on getting a Sony for use with my larger lenses...if they ever release one without the VF hump. If Sony doesn't do that, I'm getting a PL7 and selling the GM1. Why? The GM1 is too small for larger lenses and I don't like the controls as much as Olympus cameras.

Note 2: I can hold GM1 at shutter speeds much slower than I could my old PM2 (similar to PL5). I do love the electronic first curtain!

• Like Like x 1
  13. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Could you please elaborate a bit on this about the IBIS. Curious as this is the first time I have heard this (might very well be because I havent paid attention). Thanks

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The E-PL5 has the old type of image stabilization, the current IBIS is in a different league. Though I, personally, still used it. Shutter shock, put simply, is vibration caused by the movement of the shutter. Electronic first curtain shutter is an in camera setting that changes the shutter action to eliminate it. Though I thought the E-PL5 got that option in a firmware update, but I could be wrong.

15. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Thanks, I am aware that the IBIS has been improved in the E-pl7, but the comment was:

1) The IBIS is so bad its best to keep it off

That is the statement that confused me - I did do some research before purchasing my own E-pl5 copy and never came across any review mentioning that the IBIS was negatively impacting pictures. I am very happy with my E-pl5, but was just curious what tjdean experience was - or if anyone had the experience with the E-pl5.

16. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Looks like a great deal - enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  17. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    Great price for the bundle... I'm a little confused to see 2 x 14-42 kits lens's in the bundle though?

Enjoy the new camera :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. adrenalinerush

Dec 19, 2014
    I only got them because they were free. The cam was $499.99 and it cacame with the free 15mm f8 lens/cap. I added the old 40mm-150mm for $49.99. While adding that, it told me i can add the two old 14-42mm for free. I'm a bargain hunter so i took both a black and silver 14-42mm (i already have one that came with my old epl2). I figure i can turn around and sell it or keep them both for backups. I probably wont use them much since i have the 25mm f1.8 and the 45mm f 1.8 at home already.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Since you already have one and they're "new in the box" put them up for sale. I would think you could net $50-$75 a piece easily. So the E-PL7 + BLC + 40-150 will have only cost you $400-$450.

20. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    I recently purchased an Olympus EPL-7 with the 14-42 kit lens and love it. Sure, it does not have a built-in EVF but it does have that wonderful tilting screen which can be used for preventing glare. Mainly, I bought one to replace my Canon EOS-M body, for taking with me on my bicycling trips. It is so much more responsive than the Canon camera and has the touch screen which is very useful. All in all a very good camera.
    GR